Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps medal rolls

Donald D

My grandfather, William Mead 51148 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers and Labour Corps 634319, from his MIC shows that his medal details are held under the Labour Corps medal Rolls LC/101B253 page 25714.

He only joined the LC in September 1918, so would the LC medal rolls show his previous service in the Royal Fusiliers?

Thanks for any help.

If he went to France with the RF, then yes the rolls will show his service with them as that is the Regiment with which he earned his BWM & VM (and 15 Star if applicable).

For example, I have a VM to a man who initially served with the Durham Light Infantry. His MIC shows later service with the Labour Corps and the Northumberland Fusiliers. He is on the Medal Roll for the Northumberland Fusiliers, with whom he was serving when the BWMs and VMs were issued, and his entry shows both his DLI and LC service, including which Labour Companies he served with in both units.

If he went to France with the RF, then yes the rolls will show his service with them as that is the Regiment with which he earned his BWM & VM (and 15 Star if applicable).

For example, I have a VM to a man who initially served with the Durham Light Infantry. His MIC shows later service with the Labour Corps and the Northumberland Fusiliers. He is on the Medal Roll for the Northumberland Fusiliers, with whom he was serving when the BWMs and VMs were issued, and his entry shows both his DLI and LC service, including which Labour Companies he served with in both units.

Thanks very much for your reply. This means a trip to Kew to see his medal roll will not be in vain.

Thanks very much for your reply. This means a trip to Kew to see his medal roll will not be in vain.

Please be aware that Labour Corps rolls seldom contain anywhere near as much information as the example Jeff quoted, in fact I'd go as far as to suggest that you probably have all the information you're likely to get from the rolls.

Regards

Steve