Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why no date of birth on grave?

stuartwhalley

Hi

I collect death plaques and other items from ww1. I have recently obtained a death plaque and scroll for a frederick jenkins who is named on the scroll as f.s.jenkins sapper royal engineers. Through the cwgc i have obtained his service number 15443 and that he was with 55th field company royal engineers, when he died on december 9th 1914. Unfortunatley i have been unable to obtain medal rolls for this man or service records. His grave gives date of birth as unknown. Through uk soldiers died in the great war i have discovered he was born in st ishmaels pembrokeshire and his last address is given as pembroke dock but i have been unable to locate him on any census although there are similar details there are none that match exact. I do know he is buried at RUE-PETILLON MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX but the trail ends there. I have searched through all the war memorials for the region he was born and lived but there are no entries for him. Where should i go next? Why is his date of birth unknown in the army surely they should know from his paperwork and is it unusual for soldiers killed to have no medals? help please as i am now stuck!!

Hi Stuart

Welcome to the Forum,this is your mans card with medals.(14 Star,BWM & Victory)

post-10020-1245411188.jpg

Gary.

thanks gary for that. how did you manage to find it i have searched for ages yet it never once came up?

Hello Stuart,

When soldiers attested and their papers were compiled they were not required to give a date of birth. What happened was that their 'apparent age' was recorded.

Cheers,

Nigel

Surname & number gets hits on both Ancestry and the National Archives sites.

As a general aside, it is not at all unusual for a man not to be commemorated on a local war memorial. Many, many reasons why this happens (or doesnt happen, if you see what I mean).

john

Stuart,

I'm pretty sure this is your man.... he was the only result returned on a search for 'Frederick S Jenkins born in Pembrokeshire after 1874'

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Mar 1885 (>99%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jenkins Frederick Seymour Haverfordwest 11a 995

I hope you get a break.

Cheers,

Nigel