Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft Track Recorder No. 1 Mk.1

johnnie

I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me. I have come across a board that has a fitting on the back (I assume to attach to a tripod/stand), and on the rear is marked:

Aircraft Track Recorder No. 1 Mk.1

Hughes & Son Ltd

followed by the War Department arrow.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what it would be used with/how it would be used. I assume it is from the Great War period (or slightly afterwards) however I cannot be certain.

Any help would be great.

Jonathan

Sorry to disappoint you but it dates from WW2. This would have been used by the Royal Observer Corps. It should be marked out with angled lines and have two pins for sighting. The later ones had a small telescope attached. The radar system only operated around the coast, once the enemy aircraft moved inland it was the only way of tracking them.

Many thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you have any idea when they were first used? Just I have been cleaning the example I have and it seems to be dated 1920 on the rear near where the makers name is.

Jonathan

Anti-aircraft gunnery developed from practically nothing during WW1 so this equipment is probably related to something used or developed towards the end of the War. The Official History of the Ministry of Munitions, Volume X, The Supply of Munitions, which is available as a reprint from Naval and Military Press, contains a section of the additional difficulties encountered in estimating height, speed and direction of aircraft and the techniques used, albeit in fairly general form.

Keith