Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Medales were givin to Royal Navy Seamen.

Sean.

Hi to all,

Once again looking for some help please.

Some time ago through your help I was given the link to the record of Samuel Allen RN, information below, Samuel died on the 11/05/1916 and is buried in Plymouth.

Could you tell me what medals would have normally been given to a Royal Navy Seaman and how could we find out if he got any extra medals such as good conduct or anything else like that. There is no reference to any medals on his record, is it possible to find out if any medals were sent to his family.

Thank you as always in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Sean

Description, Name

Allen, Samuel, Official Number: 183390

Place of Birth: Saint Finbars, Cork

Date 26 April 1879

Catalogue reference

ADM 188/307

Dept

Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Series

Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services

Piece

183201-183600

Image contains

1 document of many for this catalogue reference

If born in 1879 he would have been 35ish in 1914 & could have been in the Navy for some years {the downloaded Record from the NA will tell you all this!} though unlikely long enough for a LSGC{though he may have been entitled to a RFR LSM},he may have earned either the 1914~15 Star; BWM & Victory trio or just the BWM & Victory pair,or possibly just a solitary BWM if he never left he Shores but was on Defence Service in Home Waters

The award of the LSGC is usually noted on the Mans Record

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply and explaining that to me, he signed up in April 1897 and served on a number of ships as well as home base and died in service. I have checked his record again and cant see any reference to an LSGC only notes on his character which ranged from good to very good.

I will go over his record again and see if his ships were in combat while he was posted on them, this well give me a better picture of the events that he was involved in.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Sean

If he enlisted in 1897 he would have been eligible for a Royal Naval Long Service Good Conduct Medal from 1912, if he had served as a regular throughout and met the criteria. This is usually noted on the register as "traced med" or "traced medal."

Campaign medals are listed on the separate alphabetical medal rolls, for his WWI medals these will be shown on ADM 171/94 Royal Navy: Ratings A-Ba. In addition to the possibilities listed earlier, he could also have earned a 1914 Star trio, if he served with the RND.

He served through the era of many campaigns, such as the Second Boer War and Third China War. To find out if he qualified for other medals you need to cross reference his list of ships with Gordon's British Battles and Medals. He could also have participated in the various Naval reviews and inspections that were part of the pre war scene, starting (for him) with the Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

Thank you very much Per,

both of these reply's tie everthing down for us, i have started cross checking his record with ship movments and his last active posting was on the HMS Cumberland up to December 1915 before being posted to Conqueror and then Vivid 1 where he died at Plymouth.

Am I right in that Conqueror and Vivid 1 were both base depots.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Vivid was certainly shore base at Plymouth. Sorry dont know about

Conqueror.

regards Margarette

Thanks Margarette,

one of the other members told me about Vivid some time ago but I was not sure about Conqueror. I thought I read some where that it was a Torpedo training station but i might have miss read the report and it may have been a ship.

thank you again for your help,

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean

If you type in HMS CONQUEROR you will find a list of ships with that name

you should be able to tell the one you want from the dates.

regardsw Margarette

His Majesty's Ship Conqueror was a "super" Dreadnought Battleship. She was barely 2 years old in 1914 and a front line ship. Unlike HMS Cumberland, which was the sister ship to Monmouth - obsolete against newer ships.

Pictures http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/orio...HMS%20Conqueror

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/monm...MS%20Cumberland

Cumberland

5th Cruiser Squadron Atlantic

September 1914 Cameroons, captured 10 German merchant ships.

January 1915 6th Cruiser Squadron Grand Fleet.

1915 West Indies and North America Station.

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/armoured-cruise...s-monmouth.html

Vivid was an administrative centre, which covered many functions that dealt with Devonport naval base: including the hospital.

Hello again Margarette,

That was my mistake about the HMS Conqueror, i was getting mixed up with another entry on his record.

The Conqueror was in a collision with the HMS Monarch and after being repaired it was present at the battle of Jutland.

I realised my mistake when I typed in the name as you suggested.

Thank you again,

Regards,

Sean

Looking at the documents online entry, he actually enlisted in 1895 (when he would have been a Boy). His adult service, which counted towards his pension, started in 1897. He could have gone to sea before that.

In addition to the campaigns that resulted in medals, the Royal Navy was also involved in campaigns for which campaign medals were not awarded, such as the liberation of Crete in 1898 (even though a VC was awarded) and the suppression of the East African Slave Trade.

Thank you Per,

I was getting word blind and lost my way, that's great it explains where Samuel was in the last years of his service and indeed his life. I will take more time when cross referencing his record.

Thank you also for the links.

Kind regards,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Re Samuel Allen Medal Query, he was my Grandfather. I'm struggled to find details of medal awards to RN personnel in the Public Records, can anybody point me in the right direction regarding the specific Admiralty records I should be searching.

Thank You

SAM ALLEN

As noted in post #4 his WWI medals will be shown on ADM 171/94 Royal Navy: Ratings A-Ba. This is on microfilm at the UK National Archives, they are not online.

• 4 months later...
Hi to all,

My name is John Allen, I am from Cork City and so are my ancestors. On the RN Memorial to the Great War in St Ann's Church (Shandon) is an inscription to my Great Uncle "Samuel Allen" who served in the Royal Navy and died in the Great War. I have tried to trace his history and came upon this article by chance. If this is the same relative to the SAM ALLEN who posted a reply on 27 June 2009 then there is a great possibility that we might be related.

My Father John Allen was born in 1910 in Cork City, joined the Royal Navy in 1926 and served in WW2. My Grandparents lived in Domnick St Shandon are buried in St Finbars Cemetary in Cork as are my Father and Mother.

It just seems to a big coincidence

Regards

John Allen

Hi to all,

Once again looking for some help please.

Some time ago through your help I was given the link to the record of Samuel Allen RN, information below, Samuel died on the 11/05/1916 and is buried in Plymouth.

Could you tell me what medals would have normally been given to a Royal Navy Seaman and how could we find out if he got any extra medals such as good conduct or anything else like that. There is no reference to any medals on his record, is it possible to find out if any medals were sent to his family.

Thank you as always in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Sean

Description, Name

Allen, Samuel, Official Number: 183390

Place of Birth: Saint Finbars, Cork

Date 26 April 1879

Catalogue reference

ADM 188/307

Dept

Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Series

Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services

Piece

183201-183600

Image contains

1 document of many for this catalogue reference

Sam,

My name is John Allen from Cork now living in Gosport just across the harbour from Portsmouth Naval Base. I have an Uncle Called Samuel Allen (still living) and a Great Uncle Samuel Allen whose name is inscribed on the Royal Naval Memorial Plaque in St Ann's Church in Shandon Street Cork. He died during WW1 and I have not been able to trace his history.

Re Samuel Allen Medal Query, he was my Grandfather. I'm struggled to find details of medal awards to RN personnel in the Public Records, can anybody point me in the right direction regarding the specific Admiralty records I should be searching.

Thank You

SAM ALLEN

Welcome to the forum John

His WWI medals will also be shown on ADM 171/94 Royal Navy: Ratings A-Ba. This is on microfilm at Kew, not online.