Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 joke, I dont get it?

museumtom

I came across this as part of a larger article. Written by soldiers billeted in a loft. I cannot understand the joke. Can someone please explain?

“Lights out” is the signal for joking. “Masta corporal,” says a coon, “can you tell me why we are in heaven?” “No” says corporal, chuckling. “Wal, the reason why we’re in heaven,” drawls the voice “is that we’ve come up aloft.”

And the roars of laughter, and derisive shouts that follow are all that one remembers before morning.

Regards.

Tom.

"soldiers billeted in a loft."

“is that we’ve come up aloft.”

Regards.

Tom.

Play on words: they have come up into a loft / up aloft (into the heavens above). Additionally, as they are in the dark, colour is of no consequence - which all goes to prove that there is nothing less funny than a joke which needs an interpretation.

Sorry guys, its an age thing.

Regards.

Tom

Even funnier if Russell Brand was telling it ~ NOT! :huh::P

Considering where a soldier is usually billeted a loft would seem like heaven. It's really kind of clever, depending on the audience, of course. Sounds like it might have been used in an old camp show or in a burlesque or music hall routine.

My guess is that in an age when people were more familiar with the language of the king James Bible it would have been funnier. Still no side splitter though.

Sorry guys, its an age thing.

Regards.

Tom

It is a joke from a different age and time; different circumstances, different sense of humour.

Tom,

When I left school in the early 50s I was trained by an 'Old Contemptible who had enlisted in the 1st East surreys in 1912. He didn't appear to be very familiar with any of the testaments. Much of the language and banter he used to a young sensitive school leaver certainly educated me. So much so I think I get the joke. Unfortunatley the rules of the Forum procludes me from an explanation.

Tony P

Thanks for the comments guys.

Kind regards.

Old Tom.

Isn't it strange that some events in our history are acceptable and not criticised, the racist comments etc are accepted, well 'a different age' but other areas, shooting men for desertion and cowardice are judged with our values of today, criticism of Generals with hindsight, welcomed. Interesting.

Mick

perhaps it demonstrates the real ingrained, institutionalised beliefs of today are not far removed from yesterday.

It is a joke from a different age and time; different circumstances, different sense of humour.

Given the circumstances even the smallest wise crack got a bigger laugh than it would have done otherwise. Post WW2 many who had gone down a treat in ENSA, found peacetime audiances much harder work.

Isn't it strange that some events in our history are acceptable and not criticised, the racist comments etc are accepted, well 'a different age' but other areas, shooting men for desertion and cowardice are judged with our values of today, criticism of Generals with hindsight, welcomed. Interesting.

Mick

perhaps it demonstrates the real ingrained, institutionalised beliefs of today are not far removed from yesterday.

Since when have humans been consistent? But you do raise an interesting point.