Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Possible Non-Commemoration' - MGC Service India

Howarth1918

Hi all,

Just want to put this information out there in case there is anything that can be done to check whether or not this is a non-commemoration.

100757 Private Charles E. Hodgson was awarded a British War Medal and an India General Service Medal (Clasp Afghan NWF 1919). His medal index card states that his widow applied for his medals in 1923-24. I have also been told the following info by a fellow GWF member: Charles died in 1920 aged 34 years and the death was registered in Paddington (ref vol 1a page 41). He was born in 1886 and he had married Daidy H Morgan (Dec qtr. 1915) in Paddington. His widow's address was 55 Fernhead Road, Paddington.

Unfortunately I don't have the resources to obtain a copy of the death certificate (I believe that is the next step). So, just checking to see if anyone out there has anymore information or can help check into this. Seems coincidental that he was in the North West Frontier in 1919 and then just died at home in 1920 aged 34.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Craig...

Craig

This man will be entitled to commemoration if his death occurred during service as he is within the qualifying dates. His death certificate should be sufficient for this assuming it quotes his military details (most domestic certificates do, some don't).

However, it is more likely that he died after discharge and so you would have to prove that his death was service related. The death certificate may do this - or do the opposite (eg. run down by a tram). It also may be inconclusive giving an illness as cause of death. You would then have to prove that the illness was service related and this can usually only be done with reference to his service record or pension papers - both of which may not exist.

Sorry, I cannot help on the specific case but the certificate will be central to solving your problem. Good luck.

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for the information. I can only hope that someone is able to research this man at some point in the future. I would hate to think that his name may be ommitted from CWGC just because I don't have the necessary resources to do the research. Thanks again for your response. Best Wishes, Craig...

Craig

This man will be entitled to commemoration if his death occurred during service as he is within the qualifying dates. His death certificate should be sufficient for this assuming it quotes his military details (most domestic certificates do, some don't).

However, it is more likely that he died after discharge and so you would have to prove that his death was service related. The death certificate may do this - or do the opposite (eg. run down by a tram). It also may be inconclusive giving an illness as cause of death. You would then have to prove that the illness was service related and this can usually only be done with reference to his service record or pension papers - both of which may not exist.

Sorry, I cannot help on the specific case but the certificate will be central to solving your problem. Good luck.

I would hate to think that his name may be ommitted from CWGC just because I don't have the necessary resources to do the research.

As you say, hopefully at some point someone may have the interest and the seven quid needed to get the certificate.

Is there a family connection with him for you, Craig?

John

Hi John, no there is no family connection. I'm a relatively new member to the Forum and became interested in reading about the soldiers that were being commemorated after so many years. I've had Private Hodgson's BWM and IGS medal for years so I researched but came to a dead end on-line (plus I no longer could afford Ancestry). Anyway thanks for the response and by the way I enjoyed your link to the Stockport info. I have an Uncle who lives in Hazel Grove, Stockport. Best Wishes, Craig...

As you say, hopefully at some point someone may have the interest and the seven quid needed to get the certificate.

Is there a family connection with him for you, Craig?

John

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to add him to my next batch. It's worth £7 at least...

PM sent.

Well done for finding him Craig! I shall of course keep you updated on any progress (or lack of)...

Hi Neil,

Thanks again for your interest and willingness to offer your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes, Craig...

I'm happy to add him to my next batch. It's worth £7 at least...

PM sent.

Well done for finding him Craig! I shall of course keep you updated on any progress (or lack of)...