Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repatriated after Death

Terry Denham

Tom - copy of article and photo ordered.

Jock - ! A1 result ! - thanks a lot for that - will see you at TNA this week ? - I should be in most days except Monday (another visit to the NHS butchery dept :( )

Well Terry - beyond all doubt then. I suppose the challenge now is to come up with an even later repatriation from F&F ......... and I was also intrigued by your earlier comment about there being no Other Rank repatriations .......... I wonder ..... (?)

....................... sorry, Jock - forgot to say - the photo of Scott, I take it as read that its a colour one ............. :lol:

regards - Tom

Tom

No 'Other Rank' repatriations from the WF during the war have ever come to light.

There are some examples after the war and of OR repats from the UK and USA to Canada and from Canada to the USA.

Happy to hear of any proven case otherwise!

Terry

I do not know if you count ones that did not see overseas service but 575 Pte. Burke James W. died Jan 15 1915. His body was send back to the U.S. for burial He was the first man to died while in service with the 25th Battalion and only had the early three digit serial number at time. He is burried in the Southborough Rural Cemetery Mass. U.S.A.

Best regards

N.S.Regt

NS

Yes I do count those sent back from Canada to the US because they were US citizens.

However, they are the most difficult to track down. Know of any more?

Terry

Not at this time as I go through my list I will post any I come across I have not researched any other battalion so all I have is 25th men. I found him in the 25th Battalion War Diary.

18 Jan 1915. First death occured on this date. Pte. J.W. Burke of "C" Coy. His body shipped back to his home.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

• 7 months later...
I have a similar entry for an Australian soldier lost in the same circumstances.

Terry, what is his name and regiment?

Robbie

Robbie

Not actually an Australian.

Major William Edward MANSER Royal Engineers

He died in Australia 08.04.17 and he was being repatriated (presumably not contrary to the rules as Australia was not a war zone) when his body was lost at sea en route.

He had been a military member of the Australian Naval Transport Board.

Robbie

Not actually an Australian.

Major William Edward MANSER  Royal Engineers

He died in Australia 08.04.17 and he was being repatriated (presumably not contrary to the rules as Australia was not a war zone) when his body was lost at sea en route.

He had been a military member of the Australian Naval Transport Board.

Thanks Terry. How odd. WHat was the name of the ship, and was he "lost" as a result of warfare?

Robbie

• 7 years later...

Terry, while going through the War Diaries of the Canadian Cyclist Company Depot, I came across an entry for Pte Carroll Alfred Conner, #2134932,who died on the 23rd May, 1917 at Chiseldon and whose body was returned to Canada for burial on the 11th June, 1917 via the S.S. Scandinavia. The War Diary entry can be seen here and his full service file is available for viewing at Library and Archives Canada, here. So it appears someone had been doing research about him recently. His family tombstone with his name on it can be seen here along with his CWGC tombstone.

Terry

I assume you have John Alexander Halliday, 11th Hussars. Details in the hyperlink below the line, including his striking grave stone.

John