Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repatriated after Death

Terry Denham

As I mentioned on another thread somewhere, I am compiling information on the very few men who died overseas and were then repatriated to the UK or other home country for burial before the practice was banned in mid-1915 (and a few after this date as well!).

To date I have collected information on 36 individuals who were so returned for burial. Before I start putting the data into its final form, please could I ask Pals for any names of such men they might have in their records in case I have missed any!

Thanks

Guest Koert Debyser

Most likely, you will know already the following:

- The Unknown Warrior

- Flight Sub-Lieutenant WARNEFORD, REGINALD ALEXANDER JOHN, VC, killed in a plane crash in Paris on 17/06/1915, buried in Brompton Cemetery.

- Major-General HAMILTON, HUBERT ION WETHERALL, KIA 14/10/1914, buried in Cheriton (St. Martin's) Churchyard, Kent.

- Major-General BRIDGES, Sir WILLIAM THROSBY, DOW 18/05/1915, buried near the Military College, Duntroon, Australia.

- Lieutenant General GRIERSON, Sir JAMES MONCRIEFF, Died 17/08/1914, buried in the GLASGOW NECROPOLIS.

- Field Marshal ROBERTS, Sir FREDERICK SLEIGH, VC, Died 14/11/1914, buried in ST. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL.

Are the other exceptions also mostly high ranking officers or were also privates and NCO's repatriated?

Koert

Terry,

I have mentioned this repatriation before but I repeat it here just to be on the safe side.

Lieutenant William Barnard Rhodes-Moorhouse VC was mortally wounded while bombing the railway line near Courtrai on 26 April 1915. Despite his injuries, he got his aircraft back to base and insisted on reporting his mission. He died the next day and was awarded the VC for this exploit. I understand he was the first airman to receive the honour.

He is buried in the grounds of the family home, Parnham House, in Dorset. Beside him is his son, Flight Lieutenant Willie Rhodes-Moorhouse DFC, who was shot down in combat over Tunbridge Wells on 6 September 1940 and crashed near Southborough.

Koert & Clive

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I have these names already but thank you anyway. The point of my post was really one of self-assurance that I had got them all. I hope that is not regarded as wasting anyone's time!

In any case, someone has emailed me with a name that I had omitted and so I am now up to 37! And I have a lead on one more.

Koert... To answer your question - only five of them so far are Other Ranks (excluding the three Unknown Soldiers) and these were repatriated with various degrees of irregularity post-war.

Most of the rest are 2/Lt to Capt in rank but from wealthy families as they had to pay the cost!

Thanks again

Terry,

Captain, the Lord Kesteven, Sir Thomas Carew Trollope, Lincs Yeomanry

Killed onboard the SS Mercian, 3 Nov 1915.

Initially buried Oran, Algeria, now rests at Crowcombe Churchyard.

Jim

Guest Koert Debyser

Terry,

No problem, you didn't waste my time. This is a topic that interests me for quite some time, although I didn't knew that 37 British and Commonwealth soldiers were repatriated. I am looking forward to the moment you'll be posting more info ;-).

What was the reason for the OR to be repatriated after the war?

Koert

Guest Pete Wood

I am sure you have this chap, but better safe than sorry:

Name: AUSTIN, VERNON JAMES

Initials: V J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 26/01/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: North of Church tower.

Cemetery: CANTERBURY (ST. MARTIN) CHURCHYARD

He was actually the son of Lord Herbert Austin (motor car manufacturer). Austin was so grief-sticken due to his son's death, that he made a pact with Lord Nuffield (the rival manufacturer, Morris) to invest money into hospitals and medical care.

Nuffield and Austin were responsible for building many inter-war hospitals and manufacturing/donating ambulances. Both men lobbied the governments of the day for healthcare for all, and their financial/political contributions are widely acknowledged as being partly responsible for the framework that led to the creation of the National Health.

Vernon Austin was shot by a sniper.

I'm sorry, Terry, but I can't remember where I read about Austin being repatriated. I know it was one of the Austin biographies written in the 1940s - but I can't remember which one. I recall it said that Vernon was shot in the head.

ODGW states killed in action, but I don't know when he was brought back to the UK.

Was he on your list??

Terry

This man has puzzled me for a while - not sure if it's what you're looking for as I'm not sure about the circumstances of his death. SDGW has died of wounds - i should check the war diary when next at Kew.

However it says family vault so I'm guessing a repatriation?

Lt Douglas Rawes

Kind regards

Mike

Thanks Mike

I don't know if he qualifies as a repatriation after death. It depends where he died!

If you find out any more, or if anyone else knows, I would be grateful to hear.

You probably have,

Capt. G.H. Blackader 42nd Bn. RHC (Montreal Regt.) Killed Sanctuary Wood June 2, 1916. Buried at Montreal Canada.

Terry, no doubt you have Captain W.A.B. Durie, 58th Bn CEF killed near Lens, 29/12/17, reburied at St James' Cemetery Toronto. I happened to be be watching "For King and Empire" on the History Channel, and Norm Christie recounted the history of his mother's efforts to have him brought back.

• 1 month later...

Lord Kesteven's body was reported as being re-interred at Crowcombe in a 7 July 1916 newspaper article with the burial service being conducted by the Bishop of Taunton.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hello Terry

How about Captain Frederick Hugh Sasse, East Yorkshire Regt. , who died of wounds at No.7 Stationary Hospital, Boulogne on 8th May, 1915 but according to CWGC is buried in Brompton Cemetery.

Andy

post-1-1091576482.jpg

Andy

Thanks. I have that one but the obit has added some snippets.

Many of the forty or so that were returned actually died of wounds in coastal hospitals.

I think I may have reached the end of my name searching now - unless anyone knows different!

Here's one. I took the photos and collected the other info and sent them to the CVM - here's the link with grave photos, etc. Does this qualify for your list? Capt. Darling was wounded in March 23 1915, and died in hospital in England on April 19th, 1915 - then returned home for reburial.

Captain Robert Clifford Darling, 15th Batt. CEF (48th Highlander)

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?s...casualty=425805

I know that Wm. A. P. Durie was already mentioned. If anyone is interested, here's a link to some photos I took of his grave in Toronto last year and sent in to the CVM:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?s...casualty=426331

If died in England qualifies for your list, then I have a few more. I also have a number of men on my list who died in a flying accident in England while training, and are now buried in Canada.

My dad's uncle, Private S/26416 James Hynd, 3rd Black Watch, died in Ireland in October 1918 from influenza and was buried at Cowdenbeath Cemetary, Scotland. Guess that doesn't count though, as Ireland was considered a 'home' posting?

Duncan.

Terry,

Have you recorded Lieutenant General Sir James Grierson who died on 17 August 1914,not exactly a battle casualty but he died on active service in France when about to join II Corps in the field as its commander?

Interred in Glasgow.

Regards

Frank East

Yes, Frank, I have. Thanks for checking though.

I am not differentiating in cause of death.

The no-repatriation rule of mid-1915 onwards applied to everyone no matter how they died.

Have you got this one the youngest DSO winner.

Lieut Geoffrey Claude Langdale Ottley Scots Guards. Shot in the head 18th December 1914 died 21st December 1914 in the Australian Hospital at Winereux Boulonge, only a few hours before his Parents got to see him. Mentioned in Dispatches 14th Jan 1915 awarded DSO 18th Feb 1915. He was the son of Rear-Admiral Sir Charles Langdale Ottley, KCMG, CB, MVO. He was buried Christmas Day 1914 in FORT WILLIAM (ST. ANDREW) EPISCOPALIAN CHURCHYARD. He was first in his batch of Guard's Cadets.

Canadawwi

I do have those you mention already recorded but I would certainly be interested in any others you have. Email me off-Forum.

Return to Canada certainly counts as repatriation whether from the UK or elsewhere.

Duncan

I am afraid that Ireland to England/Scotland etc and vice versa does not qualify. Thanks all the same.

John F

Thank you. Ottley was one that had slipped the net! I appreciate your help.