Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Martin Honan

raydenaes

I have the battalion details, Mic card, CWGC details, but I would like to try and find some more personal details of his commitment in the war. Possibly a photo.

Does anyone have any ideas on how or where to search to fill in the blanks.

Would be much appreciated

Last name: Honan

First name(s): Martin

Initials: M

Birthplace: Liverpool

Enlisted: Liverpool

Residence: Liverpool

Number: 8320

Date died: 18 August 1916

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Regards Ray

Ray,

Best to start by reading The Long Long Trail, linked above - it gives the sort of research advice you are seeking.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the forum,

Have you found him on the census?

I have him on the 1911 census and 1891 age 17 and 7 . in the borough of Scotland Liverpool at 1 Cousle 1house Waterloo sq and 8/3 Priser st. Thanks very much for your reply Regards Ray

Ray

His number effectively narrows him down to two battalions. He either joined as regular in 1902 or as a Special Reservist with the 4th (Reserve) Battalion in September or October 1909. If it was the latter - and I presume it was as this was the battalion he was with when he was killed in action - he was presumably initially posted to the 1st Battalion in order to be overseas by 30th November 1914. The 4th Bn did go to France but it didn't arrive there until 6th March 1915. The only other Bn of the King's which was in France in 1914 was the 1/10th TF Bn and if he'd served with that battalion he'd have been given a different number.

Paul

GDay Paul

Just to let you know that I really appreciate the help you and this site is giving me. It is quite overwhelming Thanks Ray

You're welcome Ray, good luck with your quest.

GDay Paul

Just to let you know that I really appreciate the help you and this site is giving me. It is quite overwhelming Thanks Ray

• 10 years later...

If any of the original posters are interested there is some new information on Martin Honan in this thread.........

Pete.