Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Frederick Andrews - Military Cross

John G

Good evening to members of the forum,

Is there anyone with access to information regarding the Military Cross of

Captain Frederick Andrews of Gloucestershire Regiment 4th Battalion City of Bristol Territorial.

Though born in Lichfield he had worked as a second brewer at Roger’s in Bristol. I think he would have enlisted there, but I don't know what or who they were, but when he was awarded a Military Cross in 1915 I can find no recognition in the local newspaper.

Thanks for checking

John

John

Lieut. FREDERICK DUDLEY ANDREWS, M.C. - Killed in action 14th August 1917 - 1/4th Bn Son of Thomas and Edith, of Lichfield, Staffs. Husband of Gladys, of Shustoke, Warwickshire. Buried at Track X Cemetery, St. Jean-Les-Ypres. MC (London Gazette 1 Jan. 1917)

W.J.Rogers was one of a number of breweries in Bristol. The brewery was situated in Old Market/Jacob Street and the company had a number of tied houses. The site is now occupied by the Bristol Evening Post Building. There was a total of 371 pubs in Bristol in 1920.

AK shilling ale brewed by Rogers was described in the 1890's as “most pleasant to the palate … a bright sparkling beverage of a rich golden colour and possesses a nice delicate hop flavour.” Rogers used the letters AK as its company trademark.

The brewery was later taken over by Simonds Brewery of Reading which itself was merged with Courage in 1960.

Bristol's largest brewers - Georges - also became part of the Courage empire.

Dave

post-128-1245016456.jpg

John

Here is the brewery.

Dave

post-128-1245016997.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just followed your link to the VC site-excellent.

I did notice the Bristol memorials so I thought I would ask if there is a general memorial in Bristol for all of the fallen. If so do you know if it would have Ltn Andrews on it.

I would like to visit the record office/library to see if there is a newspaper report as well, so I could plan in advance for my trip in the future

Thanks

Is that the Stag & Hounds on the left?

Les

Yes it is The Stag and Hounds.

John

The City of Bristol War Memorial is in St. Augustines Parade. There are no names on it.

Dave

post-128-1246474406.jpg

Thanks Dave - I thought it was, but it looks a little different.... mind you, it may all be down to the alcohol I've consumed there over the years :P

John - a while ago a member of the forum (John Flook aka JRF) was compiling a list of men with Bristol connections, mainly from CWGC and SDGW. Perhaps Andrews is one he could add?