Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt WH Foggo

JulianB

On a recent visit to relatives, we came across about 5 or 6 'photos (postcards) of the funeral of this man. It was clearly at 'home' and very extravagant, gun carriage, buglers, firing party etc etc etc

Now that I'm home I looked him up on CWGC to find he was KIA 20.05.1918 & buried in the Wirral.

We have no idea why these photographs are amongst other family ones (OK the families both lived Wirral).

His is not a unit that falls within my research

Does anyone know who he was and why he would have been a) brought home and B) why he would have been given such a magnificent send off

just curiosity but thanks to anyone who might know

Julian

Julian,

The explanation would be cause of death. KIA overseas was highly unlikely to result in a home burial. Usually such an occurence would be 'died of wounds' in a British hospital or death by 'natural' causes whilst at home, perhaps following illness etc.

A check of 'Soldiers Died' provides, I think, the answer as cause of death is given as 'Died'. This can mean one of several things, but definitely means not the result of enemy action. Presumably therefore Lt. Foggo was at home at this time.

The full 'Soldiers Died' details are:

Watson Henry Foggo, Temp Lieutenant, Lancashire Fusiliers (no battalion given), Died, 20/05/18

CWGC records 5th Battalion but doesn't say whether this was 1/5th, 2/5th, 3/5th or 4/5th. I would suspect 4/5th, as this was retitled as simply 5th Battalion in 1916 and did not go abroad.

Life is full of coincidences.

Only thirty minutes ago I was reading Lt Foggo's entry in the original 1930 register for Cheshire! Then I find his name appearing on my next visit to the Forum!

Unfortunately the register does not give any further clue to his cause of death but he certainly was not brought back from abroad after death as this was banned in mid-1915. He could have come back and died later of wounds although, from his SDGW entry, it is probable that he died of illness or accident.

• 2 weeks later...

Julian,

A friend alerted me to your posting on the off-chance that Watson Henry Foggo might be of interest. In fact I know his history rather well and I'm very interested in your material. I'll correspond separately but, for the benefit of others, WHF was the son of a Liverpool tailor. His family (from Fife originally) was not especially affluent or noteworthy and so the impressive funeral is something of a surprise. He spent some years in the Army before the war, reenlisted in 1914 and was then commissioned. He served very briefly in France but was evacuated when an old injury seems to have flared up again. He was assigned to home duties and died a few days after catching a virulent bug.

Nick

I don't know if there's any connection to the following Foogo brothers all who enlisted in the 18th Liverpool (Pals) Regiment.

16809 Cpl.James R.Foggo

16813 Pte.Harry Foggo MM won with 4th Liverpool's

16814 Pte.Thomas R.Foggo MM won with 6th Liverpool's

The brothers all lived in Litherland, Liverpool.

Bill

• 7 years later...

Julian,

I have tried to send you a PM but without success (perhaps your message box is full?)

I have only just picked up on this 2004 post, but I have a photo of this mans private headstone (with some family details) and a newspaper clipping of his funeral, which also explains why he was buried "at home" PM me if you still want them.

BillyH

post-41657-0-66785200-1328351095.jpg

• 5 years later...

Just noted this thread - Lt. Watson Henry Foggo is on the IWM project LIVES OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2497234

If anybody has information, photos, documents or stories about Lt. Foggo (or his family for that matter) that they would be willing to share then they can easily be added to his growing "Life Story" - Please help wth this project, please ...

Matlock1418

• 3 months later...

Hello, 

I am absolutely thrilled to find this thread - I am a distant relative of Watson Henry Foggo and trying to find out as much as I can about him. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of him at all, nor photos of any of his branch of the family. Sadly he is not known about at all in our branch of the family but I am determined to rectify that. 

I would be delighted to get any photos or information on him at all and am intrigued about the photos of his funeral. Amazing.

All I can add really is that he is called Watson after both his uncle Watson Foggo and his great-grandmother's maiden name was Watson. the family did indeed originate in Fife - Dysart (near Kirkcaldy). 

I look forward to hearing from any of you.

Sio

His probate record say address 103 Mount Road Birkenhead. 5th Reserve Battn Lancs Fusiliers. Died at 2nd Western General Hospiral, Whitworth St, Manchester.  Probate to his Dad David, a tailor.

1911 census has him as a shop assistant, tailor, presumably with his father. 1901 with the family. Birth reg 3Q 1892 in Birkenhead.

Commissioned 3/6/15. Into,10th Res Battn LF. 

Previously 4/2324 Cheshire Regiment.

MIC suggest might be entitled to a 1914/15 Star. But can only find Roll for the War and Victory Medals. The card has France 22/3/17 written on it so that may be the date he first went overseas

National Archives have his officer file. Detail @

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1055811?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/1861

There is a death notice for him in the Liverpool Echo dated 24/5/1918 saying funeral was a day later. Refers to his death occurring at the Hospital referred to above. 

Edited by Mark1959

11 hours ago, Sio said:

I am absolutely thrilled to find this thread - I am a distant relative of Watson Henry Foggo and trying to find out as much as I can about him. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of him at all, nor photos of any of his branch of the family.

(see post #7 above)

If you send me a PM (personal message) with an e-mail address I can send you a lot more details of the funeral.

(to PM me hover your cursor over my name and select the "Message" option.)

BillyH.

• 3 years later...

A friend asked me to find out about a family medal, and it turns out to be the BW Medal to WH Foggo.  

Thanks to everyone who has posted information here - I wasn't expecting to find out very much but this is fantastic.

Billy H, the site doesn't want to let me PM you, but it would be great to know more about the funeral. 

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Durham Keith said:

A friend asked me to find out about a family medal, and it turns out to be the BW Medal to WH Foggo.  

Thanks to everyone who has posted information here - I wasn't expecting to find out very much but this is fantastic.

Billy H, the site doesn't want to let me PM you, but it would be great to know more about the funeral. 

Welcome.

Reply to this and the PM system will be available to you.

Just to re-emphasise what my colleague Mark1959 said in 2017-the answer as to what happened to him is almost certainly to be found in his officer file at Kew with The National Archives, details of the full entry below. The bad news is that they have not been digitised and TNA is closed at the moment due to The Lurgi. The good news is that officer files are very strong on medical records as a rule- If we ever get back to normal, then a peep at the file should reveal all.

I also take the liberty of posting a record entry from Discovery for something else that turned up at The National Archives- Board of Trade records of the right time-frame for your man- Posted just in case-by fluke-they have a connection with your man (Well, the name Watson Foggo has to have come from somewhere!!)

image.png.49e099cedd8f109ec1542dff078ddd39.png

Just to re-emphasise what my colleague Mark1959 said in 2017-the answer as to what happened to him is almost certainly to be found in his officer file at Kew with The National Archives, details of the full entry below. The bad news is that they have not been digitised and TNA is closed at the moment due to The Lurgi. The good news is that officer files are very strong on medical records as a rule- If we ever get back to normal, then a peep at the file should reveal all.

I also take the liberty of posting a record entry from Discovery for something else that turned up at The National Archives- Board of Trade records of the right time-frame for your man- Posted just in case-by fluke-they have a connection with your man (Well, the name Watson Foggo has to have come from somewhere!!)

image.png.49e099cedd8f109ec1542dff078ddd39.png

Thank you .. I visit Kew often in normal times and so have added them to my order list. The BT file is certainly an intriguing addition.