Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First World War Discoveries since the 1960's.

Drummy

While we are talking about finding some of the "lost ones", I am continuing to investigate ommissions on the Australian War Memorial online Database in their Honour Roll.

It started when a relative of mine (that is him in my avatar) was discovered in the London Cemetery and Extension, next to High Wood. Following a hunch, I later found a total of 88 Australians buried in the Cemetery where the Australian War Memorial offered that they were only on the Australian National Memorial near Villers-Bretonneux.

Following a press release around Australia in October last year, I have been asked by a researcher in Perth, Western Australia, to visit another two Cemeteries. I have visited one of them and found another 16 as detected by this researcher. The other Cemetery will be visited in April when I return to Arras.

The reason for my press release was to tell Australian families who were investigating their lost kin, to always check the CWGC site as all of the ones I have investigated so far are visible on that site.

I suspect that Australians found between 1920 and at least 1955 were never updated and as such, when the AWM went online with their Honour Roll, as reported in Australia, they used a 1920 list, the only one they had. How many more ommissions are there.......will I ever find them all?

I have started to ask for a comparison to be done between the CWGC database and the AWM Roll of Honour database to find the discrepancies and to also remove the numerous typos.

Regards, Peter

Peter,

As for that comparison, I have it.

Geoff used his widget from his search engine and cross referenced the CWGC Debt of Honour with that of the AWM Roll of Honour. I used these as part of process for the In From the Cold Project.

Send me a PM and I will e-mail them to you.

Cheers Andy.

Hi Andy,

Much appreciated.

Have sent PM to you.

Best Regards, Peter

Hi Drummy

thanks for highlighting the St Yves find (more on this in the link in my signature if anyone is interested!) - we're still working on all the methods to try to identify the chap before reburial. One small point (no criticism cos this was how the press reported it) - the dig was by No Man's Land Archaeology. Although Bradford Uni are key partners - its our gig!!!

cheers

R

found a few more examples -

Australian soldier found near St. Yves on 6th August 2008 during archaeological digs by Bradford University students.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am a french student and that explain my bad english:

Some excavations are actually made in France (Somme) looking for the "secret terror weapon of the Somme", and on Saturday a French soldier was discovered, I think it is the most recent one. For more informations on these excavations there is a link here:

http

://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...iscovered.html

Rémy

Many thanks Rémy, I am 'trying' to learn French and your sentence in English is very good, better than an attempt I could make in French! Very interesting link and I look forward to hearing more news of this excavation.

Thanks

keep hoping that one day thay may id the kings Own soldierd found near serrer in October 2003

matt

Hi,

The excavations I was talking of are now finished and a new soldier was found, still not know if it is a frenc hor an english one...

Rémy

• 7 years later...

Hi,

I know this thread is a little old now but i’d love to find out more about my great-uncle, Private John Moore, 3012, 47th Battalion, AIF.

I have your book Craig but any further info you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Eve

Edited by Guest
Add quote

On 22/01/2010 at 10:27, cdeayton said:

Dear Don

I have some informastion on Adye Rockliff and would be interested in knowing more about the circumstances of the discovery and subsequent re-interment.

My history of the 47th Battalion will be published this year.

You can find me at:

principal@mackillop.tas.edu.au

Craig Deayton