Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First World War Discoveries since the 1960's.

Drummy

With the well known Point du Jour discovery in 2001 of 20 British soldiers (Grimsby Chums?), the large number of British, French etc soldiers found by the Diggers at Boesinge, Belgium and the current recovery of up to 400 British and Australian troops at Fromelles, I am sure there have been other notable WW1 discoveries, here are a few examples I have listed, I find the subject fascinating as these discoveries provide a direct link and reminder to the first war. Out of interest has anyone got any other examples since, say the 1960’s, of discoveries on the Western Front and in other theatres.

Pte Harry Wilkinson, 2/LF (1914) discovered in 2000 (Prowse point)

Pte Richard Lancaster, 2/LF (1914) discovered in 2006 (Prowse point)

Pte George Nugent, 22/NF (1916), discovered in 1998 (Ovillers Military Cemetery)

25 of the crew of HM Sub E24 (1916) found when the wreck was raised in 1974 (Hamburg Ohlsdorf cemetery)

Pte John Hunter and Sgt George Calder, Australian soldiers, found with 3 unknown soldiers (all died 1917) at Westhoeke in 2006 (Buttes New British Cemetery)

Another soldier, story featured in trench detectives, Private Jack Willoughby, Lord Strathcona's Horse (1918) found in 1986 (now buried in Terlincthun British Cemetery). Any more examples out there?

These men, now buried at Terlinchthun, were found by an old friend of mine back in 1982. At that time it was the largest discovery of soldiers for many years.

2585508914_e61df7186c_b.jpg

They were all found in a field, never ploughed since the war, at the rear of Ovillers Military Cemetery. My old friend Yves, a CWGC gardener, was asked to clear the field of shells and the bodies were found.

Paul,

Thanks for posting the picture, I had read ages ago about these chaps being discovered , just seems a shame that they were not buried closer to where they were found!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

In those days Terlincthun was the only open cemetery in France, so all soldiers were buried here, no where they were found.

Paul,

not wanting to hijack the thread but what ones are classed as open on the Somme at the moment? I was fortunate to attend a burial at Serre a couple of years ago and was just wondering what the policy was?

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Scottie - the policy changed in the ?late 1990s. Soldiers were then buried as close as possible to where they were found. The Royal Fusiliers at Monchy le Preux were an example of that in c.1998. This policy continues to this day.

In Belgium the only open cemetery was Cement House, and again the policy for that changed, but I think that was after 2000.

Pte John Hunter and Sgt George Calder, Australian soldiers, found with 3 unknown soldiers (all died 1917) at Westhoeke in 2006 (Buttes New British Cemetery)

You missed off that one of the 3 unknown soldiers was later identified by DNA. His name is Private George Storey and his headstone has been amended accordingly. See the website below for details concerning the Zonnebeke Five.

http://www.polygonwood.com/Polygon%20Wood%...nnebeke%205.htm

Paul,

thanks for clarifying the position, nice to know the policy has changed.

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Don’t forget the 200+ discovered on or near the site of the industrial site at Boezinge, Flanders and excavated by the group called "The Diggers"

Regards

Norman.

Jeremy - many thanks for the info regarding Storey I was not aware of that,

Paul - Thanks for the update, is the 1982 find the largest in the last few decades (excluding Boesinge & Fromelles) and did it attract much media attention at the time of find / reburial?

Many thanks Neil.

Just had a look re info for the Royal Fusiliers, 27 soldiers of the 13th Bn, Royal Fusiliers were found at Monchy le Preux in 1998, two of them identified, Pte's Frank King and George Anderson. (Monchy British Cemetery).

Paul - Thanks for the update, is the 1982 find the largest in the last few decades (excluding Boesinge & Fromelles) and did it attract much media attention at the time of find / reburial?

Many thanks Neil.

There was very little media attention, aside from an article in the Courier Picard. In those far off days the media was not that interested in anything to do with the Great War.

• Admin

I think I'm right that this man was a late find too

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=4028846

Jack White AIF rings a bell and don't forget John Kipling...............

Michelle

found a few more examples -

Australian soldier found near St. Yves on 6th August 2008 during archaeological digs by Bradford University students.

Three Canadian soldiers found near Hallu, France in 2007

Pte Herbert Peterson, Canadian, & another unknown soldier found near Vimy Ridge in 2003.

Couple of allied examples

Five French soldiers found near Fricourt in 2007 (reburied Albert?)

Pvt Francis Lupo, US Infantry, who died in 1918, was found in 2003 and reburied at Arlington National Cemetery in 2006.

I think I'm right that this man was a late find too

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=4028846

Jack White AIF rings a bell and don't forget John Kipling...............

Michelle

Yes, I went to Jack White's funeral. That was in c.1996/97. He was found at Bullecourt and reburied in Queant Road Cemetery.

Around 2000 I also attended the funeral of two Scottish soldiers, both unknown, who were re-buried in London Cemetery, High Wood. They were found by German military historian Dr Alex Fasse, while he was walking the ground around Longueval.

Jack White AIF rings a bell

A video was produced of Jack White's funeral. A grey and murky day, it seemed to suit quite well for the reburial.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Michelle,

Had a quick look re Jack White - Sgt Jack James White, 22nd Australian Infantry, Killed 03/05/15, found near Bullecourt in 1994 and reburied at Queant Road Cemetery in 1995.

In respect of Sgt David Kitto, RAMC, have you any further details?

Thanks

Neil

Private Russell Bosisto 27th Battalion AIF was found in 1998 and buried at Courcelette British Cemetery

Four Australians were discovered in March 2003, near Merris. Two of the four soldiers were identified as: Lieutenant Christopher Champion and Corporal Ernest Corby of the 3rd Battalion AIF. All were buried at Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension.

Cheers,

Tim L.

• Admin

Neil, I'm afraid not, it must have been early-mid 80s and I think he was found near Cambrai. I was hoping that Paul Reed would step in and help my crumbling brain cells out on this one.

Michelle

• 4 weeks later...

Private William Robert Tedford, 3233, 47th Battalion AIF

(My grandfather's older brother)

Reported missing in action 5th April 1918, Dernancourt, France

His remains, together with those of two others, were found beside a railway line at Dernancourt in the Somme, France on 13 September 1978

The other soldiers were identified as

Private A C H Rockliff, 7225

Private J Moore, 3012

The intermingled remains of the three were re-buried in a collective grave (Plot 13, Row F, Grave No's 10 & 11) in Terlincthun British Cenetary, Wimille, France.

All three served in the 47th Battalion AIF & were all previously commemorated on the Villiers Bretonneux Memorial in France

• 6 months later...

Dear Don

I have some informastion on Adye Rockliff and would be interested in knowing more about the circumstances of the discovery and subsequent re-interment.

My history of the 47th Battalion will be published this year.

You can find me at:

principal@mackillop.tas.edu.au

Craig Deayton

Private William Robert Tedford, 3233, 47th Battalion AIF

(My grandfather's older brother)

Reported missing in action 5th April 1918, Dernancourt, France

His remains, together with those of two others, were found beside a railway line at Dernancourt in the Somme, France on 13 September 1978

The other soldiers were identified as

Private A C H Rockliff, 7225

Private J Moore, 3012

The intermingled remains of the three were re-buried in a collective grave (Plot 13, Row F, Grave No's 10 & 11) in Terlincthun British Cenetary, Wimille, France.

All three served in the 47th Battalion AIF & were all previously commemorated on the Villiers Bretonneux Memorial in France