Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Henry Ward

dorindacass

Using the records in Ancestry and CWGC I have been trying to establish the place and date of death of George Henry Ward born 1896 in York. (Father's name George.) He was known in the family as Harry. I know no details of his war service.

I have narrowed it down to the two strongest possibilites. 1) George Henry Ward Pte in Northumberland Fusiliers 10th Bat, SN 19024, died 11 7 1916 and 2) Harry Ward Pte in Lincolnshire Regiment 2nd Bat, SN 49830, died 18 8 1918. (There is a Harry Ward remembered on the Leeman Road York War Memorial and this may relate to him.)

I wonder if anyone could suggest what I might do next. Also, does anyone recognise either of these soldiers as belonging to their family?

The George Henry Ward in the Northumberland Fusiliers was born in York. From Soldiers Died in the Great War;

George Henry Ward

Birth Place: York

Enlisted: Newcastle-On-Tyne

Death Date: 11 Jul 1916

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Battalion: 10th Battalion.

Number: 19024

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Andy.

There are two things you can do to try and prove the connection.

I believe I am correct in saying that his Death Certificate should give his age, which you can then x-check against the year of birth of G. H. Ward.

You can look in a local (York/Newcastle) paper around this date of death and see if there is any mention of him, and giving some biographical details which you can use to prove the link.

Best wishes.

Andy.

There are two things you can do to try and prove the connection.

I believe I am correct in saying that his Death Certificate should give his age, which you can then x-check against the year of birth of G. H. Ward.

You can look in a local (York/Newcastle) paper around this date of death and see if there is any mention of him, and giving some biographical details which you can use to prove the link.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Hi Andy

Thanks so much for your replies. Sorry to be dim, but where would I go to find a death certificate for someone who was killed in the first world war? I agree that it would be helpful to know the age at death of George Henry Ward.

I had thought of checking the newspaper, but haven't managed to do it yet because I don't live in the same city.

Many thanks. Dorinda

Terry Denham/John Hartley.

Please can you look up the G.R.O. reference and advise on where and how to apply for a copy of the DC.

Cheers.

Andy.