Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would you publish this article in a book

museumtom

Tom, one aspect to consider now is that having put the details into the opening of this thread, the material is already far more open and in the public domain than it ever was in the National Archives or in the pages of a book. Try Googling for Offaly and it will come up. But at least you are reasonably anonymous and Des's angry man with big stick may not find you.

It's a question of judging whether inclusion in the book brings more lasting value to the readership than any hurt it might cause. Tricky.

A good point Chris. I have deleted it from the original post and no-one has quoted it so nothing of it now exists on the net.

Regards.

Tom.

I think it would be treating the readers like children, I have never seen such a get out in a publication, if I did I would feel let down and patronised. And as for removing the original post, sorry Tom I don't agree But thats me I believe its history, warts and all. I think it also tells a story of compassion, put yourself in that Policemans shoes.

Mick

It's a fascinating debate, Mick's 'publish and be damned', or Sue's 'gratuitous gossip'

Maybe this is a good topic for a live chat debate ( with a referee )

Mike

A good point Chris. I have deleted it from the original post and no-one has quoted it so nothing of it now exists on the net.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom,

I think you are right to have removed the details from this post, as you were discussing the principle and not the specific. Two points:

1. Where a substantial edit occurs, I think you should leave a note to the fact that you have removed specific details (because you were seeking discussion of the principle and not the specific.)
  2. You have left traces, in the Google Cache (I have just re-read them). You may also find that it has been captured by internet archive sites. We like to think that our discussions are relatively private (like a discussion held in the open, but not shouted); unfortunately the internet has ears!
HTH

David

Hello David. If you search the Google cache all that you can find is'

'I found the defendant, Annie Power there drunk. I asked her where her children were, and she said they were in bed. I requested that she should let me see ...'

Thats all you can get. Nothing else exists.

Regards.

Hello David. If you search the Google cache all that you can find is'

'I found the defendant, Annie Power there drunk. I asked her where her children were, and she said they were in bed. I requested that she should let me see ...'

Thats all you can get. Nothing else exists.

Regards.

Interesting; are you viewing

[edit: illustrative link now removed]

?

David

No I did not see that.

Sorry.

Regards.

Tom.

Today, our major newspaper in Toronto carried an article naming names and describing the dreadful experiences of Canadian soldiers returning from Afghanistan - drunken violence, wife beating, unconscious violence while asleep. Nowadays attributed to PTSD, it is and always has been a dirty part of soldiering. In times past, it was usually swept under the rug. Hopefully, no longer.

If the article in question is a statement of true fact, then it is every bit a fact of soldiering as is dying. Print it.

Today, our major newspaper in Toronto carried an article naming names and describing the dreadful experiences of Canadian soldiers returning from Afghanistan - drunken violence, wife beating, unconscious violence while asleep. Nowadays attributed to PTSD, it is and always has been a dirty part of soldiering. In times past, it was usually swept under the rug. Hopefully, no longer.

If the article in question is a statement of true fact, then it is every bit a fact of soldiering as is dying. Print it.

Piorun

I wouldn't want to hold up today's newspapers as the standard for what should or shouldn't be printed. The press publishes scads of sensational stories every day but how much of their motivation is to cure a serious problem like the one you mention and how much is simply to sell more newspapers. The reality is that they're having a hard time competing and seem to become more and more sensational as the competition increases. But even if we give them the benefit of the doubt, a story about something going on today may lead to a solution of the problem; a story about something that happened ninety years ago can't solve it retroactively.

You're right, this is a hard fact of war. If it's necessary to the purpose of the book, then the problem is how to handle it without harming some innocent person who had nothing at all to do with it.

Bob

Fair comment, Bob. More of the same material has appeared today in what appears to be a fairly thoughtful series on PTSD and the effect it has on troops returning to civilian life in today,s word. Toronto Star is the newspaper and Googling it might provide some food for thought. Your comments gave me food for thought. The article could be paraphrased or excerpted with a disclaimer that names have been altered to protect the living but that it is otherwise factually true. Would that be an ethical solution that is fair to all, including journalistic integrity? I believe it would. Yours aye, AntonyCK