Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 60 - View blocking house proposed.

bierlijn

We have hurried to correct the perception that the campaign is run by interfering foreigners, and translators are now at work producing a mirror Flemish site.

Translators?

It's because of his and many other soldier's sacrifices, British, Commonwealth, French and Belgian that you can have a point of view.

Come on. Do you really believe this nonsense?

Come on. Do you really believe this nonsense?

Nonsense?

So can you please tell me what the Great War was fought for?

Sean

Ernst,

Although your initial stated objection to this campaign has been shown to be unfounded, you decline my request that you reveal any substantive motive for your continued opposition. This is of course your prerogative although I’m afraid that your continued spurious posting on the matter, without showing the ability to present a reasoned argument, leads me to wonder whether you have an ulterior motive. Why should you be taken seriously?

Merry Christmas

Roy

Well I for one will now be ignoring Ernst

I detect a troll .... the big thing about trolls is they get bored very soon after we do.

At this season of goodwill, I wish all such trolls the very best, and will they please close the door as they leave.

There's an update on the house project on the petition site....

Please read and let fellow forum members know of these developements....time is running out, but what is happening seems to be deliberately timed for the Christmas break

leaving less time for objections....

http://www.savehill60.org/

regards

Tom

Even my 18 year old daughter has agreed to sign the petition; she has visited Hill 60 & agrees without the view it looses all context. By the way she got an A in history

This topic is indeed a very sensitive one.

However, I will not be signing my name to the petition. As others have mentioned, I feel this is more of a local matter.

Though, I do understand the feelings of many who want to preserve the view and have every right to create a petition to try and change the decision that has been made. Democracy is what the War was fought for (not to keep a view over Ieper SMG ;) ) Good luck to you all who are fighting to change the decision.

thank you

for all the help

sabine

I have also signed the petition and have seen that there is publicity for this issue on the WW1 Buffs Facebook group.

I noticed from http://www.savehill60.org/Journalist.htm

"Belgian politicians have had the Western Front area shortlisted for UNESCO World Heritage Site status which they hope to have granted for the centenary, 2014"

so hopefully there are potential allies within Belgium and the campaign will not just be seen as 'foreigners' who want to dictate to local authorities in a foreign country how they should conduct their affairs.

Britman

You must have misunderstood my post and I take exception to your comment.

I thought it was obvious that I was saying to Ernst that the war was fought so he could have a point of view in matters such as this.

I believe this could be called Democracy, as mentioned in your post.

Sean

Britman

I thought it was obvious that I was saying to Ernst that the war was fought so he could have a point of view in matters such as this.

I believe this could be called Democracy, as mentioned in your post.

(quote)

The Allied Powers were fighting for democracy in WW1? I hadn't heard that before. While this notion may have somewhat applied to Wilson, (the USA was not a formal ally, but rather an 'associated power') who claimed (and later reneged on the promise) that the USA would fight only to make the world safe for democracy, it would probably have come as something of a suprise to George, Nikki and Albert who were at least honest enough to make it known that they weren't terribly interested in extending the notions of democracy (let alone universal sufferage) to millions of people living under their nation's control. All that came much later.

But I digress from the thread. Issuing building permits for a structure which will negatively impact Hill 60 is an affront to both historical sensibilities and aesthetics (as I'm sure anyone who has seen recent examples of Belgian residential architecture will agree). If the local officials do not recognize the importance of preserving historic sites which happen to rest within their jurisdiction then it is up to the rest of the world to bring it to their attention. TAKE A STAND, SIGN THE PETITION.

Cheers, Bill

Petition now stands at 1409 - a goodly figure

yep it does have got 1418 now,

contacted some politicians here in belgium, waiting what they have to say about it

kind regards

sabine

Sabine,

Really appreciate the work that you and the team are doing.

Roy

nearly 2000 signatures and a department ( ruimtelijke ordening) in brussels is investigating it.

kind regads

sabine

Just had an email to say that they have lost 2000 signatures, software crash. They want me to re sign. Anyone else hsd this, before I re sign?

Cheers Mike