The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hill 60 - View blocking house proposed.

bierlijn

Hill 60 has become what is is because it is a mass buriall site, as far as I can remember up to 500 soldiers of all nationalities have their last resting place here.

Instead of trying to dig the soldiers up they decided to fence it and leave it untouched as a mass grave.If I am not mistaken it is the CWGC who lookes after the site.

The view which everybody talkes about was enjoyed by the germans until june 1917 and the allied soldiers will have had a stiff neck looking up the hill.

The view is still there you just have to step slghtly to the left and you get a perfect sight of Ieper.

The people who live there are painted as traitors nr 1, why. They have plannig permission. Every now and then somebody will post the latest state of the garden fence like a little school boy who goes to the head master, if it is 5 or 6 feet high, how dare he, another kick in the nuts.

Why not make an action group for the whole ridge and protect all of the craters. The two at petit bois you have to be a Ray Mears to find and get too nowadays but in the thirty visits I have made to the craters over the years I have never seen anybody else there, or are these craters not worth it because you can't park your car next to the rim. In my humble oppininon the best two craters of them all, as craters go.

I thought the action which was started a few years ago was stupid to even start up. But you always have a few who want to make their mark on things and to my great surprise carried on with their battle plan, and now the owners are scoundrels and you are going to smash their house down, nice show.

regards

Frans

My grandfather was wounded on the Salient in November 1917, so I have a personal interest in at least part of the region. Fortunately I can still stand at the far end of Passchendaele New British Cemetery in front of the headstones of comrades of his who died during the same short tour at the front and look out over a largely uninterrupted view of the fields where he was wounded, and they were killed. Much of the rest of the salient hasn't fared so well, from the perspective of the battlefield visitor.

The Hill 60 situation is very unfortunate, but ultimately it is for the Belgians to sort out. I suppose that the Salient could eventually become such an urban & industrial clutter that the battlefield visitors will just stop visiting.

Que sera sera.

post-108-0-43001000-1401403851_thumb.jpg

Tom

35.57/76.f.10

Hi Frans,

The people who live there are painted as traitors nr 1, why. They have plannig permission. Every now and then somebody will post the latest state of the garden fence like a little school boy who goes to the head master, if it is 5 or 6 feet high, how dare he, another kick in the nuts.

I thought the action which was started a few years ago was stupid to even start up. But you always have a few who want to make their mark on things and to my great surprise carried on with their battle plan, and now the owners are scoundrels and you are going to smash their house down, nice show.

I thought the point of this thread is that the people do not have their own country's planning permission?

When you have a moment, could you please read the Forum Rules?

• You will not incite or be aggressive in tone.
  • You will respect the right of others to express their opinion.

I haven't seen others use words like 'stupid', 'little school boy', or make suggestions such as 'smash their house down' ...

Thanks Frans,

Bill

I am sorry Bill that I maybe gave you the feeling that you had to go and bash the house down, but it was one of the questions in the options put forward on this forum.

I bumped into this thread and thought it was a bit one sided and decided to give a bit of a balance. My thinking was I wil give it a bash and look if I can come out of it alive.

There are always two sides to a story and it looked a little bit one sided, a crucifiction more like.

I am certainly not being aggressive, I am in the camp of just leave it alone.

The impression is created that there are a lot of people at hill 60 frustrated because of the mega changes of the surrounding area. I passed the Hill in the afternoon a few days ago and there was nobody there. The house looked fine and like most houses a fence round the outside. Nothing to get hot under collar about.

I have been coming to the Messina ridge for more than 25 years and looking at photographs from then and now there are great improvements to the hill.

Sadly the museum has gone, but the rest looks pritty much the same. The catterpillar is accessible, 25 years ago a near impossible task and the best preserved crater edge of all the craters.

If you know the reasoning for creating hill 60 into what is is now we would not be having this discussion.

regards

Frans

... I am in the camp of just leave it alone.

I think that is the underlying point - if Hill 60 had been "left alone" and the house in question never been built, then the current problem simply wouldn't exist.

Like I said earlier; ultimately it is for the Belgians to sort this out, - but if it turns out to be unequivocally the case that the owners just cocked-a-snook at planning applications etc. then yes, pull it down.

Tom

Why is it so imperitive to see the Ieper skyline from Hill 60. Hill 60 is on the otherside of the road, you only have to walk a few steps towards the railway bridge to get a view of the Ieper skyline.

John

Why is it so imperitive to see the Ieper skyline from Hill 60.

In the greater scheme of things it isn't "imperative" - the world wont come to an end; nobody will die; Sunday will still follow Saturday.

This question of "the view from" was discussed on GWF not too long ago, in the context of the view from the 1st Australian Div. Memorial at Poziers towards Mucky Farm and Thiepval - remember ? - the issue raised then was the planting of a commercial wood across to line-of-sight. (That's a 1916 question of course :whistle: ). Same principle though.

Why not build a bungalow between the Caribou in Newfoundland Memorial Park and Lone Tree - Y Ravine ? No reason at all - you could just walk left or right a way and still be able to see Lone Tree and Y Ravine. Why not build a block of flats beside the Ulster Tower, etc etc ? - The question shouldn't be "Why is it so imperitive to see the Ieper skyline from Hill 60 ?" as much as "Why is it so imperitive to spoil the view of the Ieper skyline from Hill 60 ?".

Tom

Found this one of hill 60 in the late 1920's. I don't know if the watch tower is a feature from after the war. Would not fancy having to observe from the top of it in the war.

14131978439_3bd5115010_b.jpg

This is the Queen victoria rifle monument which was damaged by our german friends while passing in 1940.

Ieper is behind us and we are looking in the direction of zandvoorde.

14322552655_c6963ff844_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've removed some comments - please, no more allegations or comments regarding the motives of contributors

Thanks

Alan