Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Base at Ripon?

marc leroux

I was reading through the Kinmel Park war diaries and came across a reference to troops being transferred to Kinmel Park from Ripon. Was there a base located in Ripon, and could anyone point me to any information on it?

Thanks

marc

Marc,

There was a base at Ripon. I think it was on the Racecourse. I'll have a look and see what I can find and get back to you.

Roger.

(Born Ripon, Yorkshire)

Certainly in early 1919 there was a Demobilisation Camp there.

"Jan13th Left battery for Demobilisation

Jan15th Arrived at Rouen - medical exam and fumigation of clothing

Jan19th Sunday night sailed from Le Havre on 'City of Poona'

Jan20th Reached Southampton after quiet passage of twelve hours

Jan21st Reached Ripon Demobilisation Camp at 1am and arrrived home at midnight on same day "

These are the last entries in my father's First World War Diary. He was a Gunner in the RGA and lived in the Ryburn Valley just outside Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire.

Thanks to all for your help.

It seems that my Grandfather was stationed in Ripon for almost all of Feb. 1919, which seems long, but his record also indicates that he was sent there as a coal miner, and since (I believe) Ripon is close to coal mining territority, I've been trying to make a connection.

marc

Marc,

Aren't the Royal Engineers based at Ripon? I'm sure they were at some stage. If they were there in WW1, that could be the connection with coal miners.

Chris

Chris,

The Royal Engineers still have a camp at Claro Barracks and I can see your logic but I've never heard of any coal mines around this area.

Roger.

There was a German POW camp in Ripon at that time. I've got a German photo album that has pictures from the camp.

Jan

Guest peter johnson

Marc

Yes there was a large camp at Ripon during the war. It was split into two camps, "North & South" I have copies of maps of these camps. There was a prison of war camp in Ripon as well as several others around the area. It was situated as far as I am aware close to the old railway station, at Ure Bank, that has now sadly gone. The racecourse was an airfield, though I am unable to say who was using it. The Royal Engineers are still based in Ripon at Claro Bks "38 Engineer Regiment"

I am an Ex member of that Regt and living in Ripon after leaving the forces.

Regards

Pete

PS

I've no Idea about coal mine though we do have trouble with Gypson craters

The 16th and 18th Battalions West Yorkshire Regiment, which were the 1st and 2nd Battalions Bradford Pals did their training at Ripon, they arrived there in May 1915. Like your earlier corrospondant Roger said I think it was on what is now the race course.

Regards Eddie