Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery

Guest teresahooper

Guest teresahooper

I am a researcher who is rapidly getting confused by the sheer amount of different divisions etc there are in the Army. I am looking for the Royal Artillary 1914 - 1918. My grandfather, Lionel Chalkley, was a mounted driver (horse) who carried the heavy artillary. His number was L41879DVR. Is there anyone out there who knows what this number means? :blink:

The "L" indicates that he was a wartime enlistment, and "DVR" is his rank. (Driver).

John.

Actually the 'L' prefix denotes that the man enlisted in a "locally-raised" Royal Field Artillery Brigade. Traditionally, Royal Artillery gunners had been recruited nation-wide, but in July 1915 the army hit upon the idea of raising "local" brigades of Royal Field Artillery. Each of these brigades were given a local name such as: 148th (1st County Palatine) Brigade, RFA). The brigades raised ranged from the 148th Brigade, RFA to the 190th (Wimbledon) Brigade, RFA.

Unfortunately it is impossible to tell from the number to which brigade he belonged.

Regards. Dick Flory

Guest teresahooper

Dear John and Dick,

thank you so much for your swift replies. The information has helped big time. Im off to Kew for the first time on Tuesday to try and rustle up some more info - any advice on where to look etc? My grandfather was born and raised in Norwood so perhaps there was a local regiment thereabouts so am investigating this as a possibility as well - am staying overnight so looks like Im in for a busy couple of days.

Many thanks

Teresa Hooper :D