Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Mackintosh

Guest veronica gay

Guest veronica gay

Can anyone tell me more about the 22nd Manchester Regiment & its movements in the 1914-18 War & if any-one has any information on either James or Wilfred Mackintosh who both served in the regiment in the great war

In Hope

Veronica

veronica.cool@tiscali.co.uk

Veronica,

You can find out a lot from this site to get you started. Go to http://www.1914-1918.net/mancs.htm to see details of all the Manchester battalions. Find the 22nd and click on the links to the two different Divisions the battalion served in, and you'll be able to get an outline what your two men were probably involved in.

If you can provide any extra snippets of information about your men, no matter how trivial they may seem, you might give another forum user a clue that could reap greater results for your research.

All the best,

Andrew :)

Veronica

You could also look out for a book called "Manchester Pals" by Michael Stedman. Fairly recently written but now out of print (if any reader wants to sell me a copy please get in touch). If you live in the Manchester area, you may find the local library has a copy.

It gives a good overall history of the battalion. My area of "expertise" is the 17th battalion but I have some knowledge of the 22nd. As Andrew says, if you have some more snippets (service numbers, when they joined, anything), post them here and we'll see what we can do.

John

B)

I've just looked through the "Manchester City Batttalions Book Of Honour" (which lists all the "original" pals) and can't find either James or Wilfred Mackintosh listed in the 22nd Bn. section.

This shows that they weren't "original" members of the battalion, and probably joined it as replacements (probably after the early days of the Somme offensive), or were transferred from other units.

Not a lot, I know, but I suppose it's another "step".

Dave.

Taking up Dave's mention of the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour reminds me that this now rare volume has been made available on CD rom by the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society at the pocket-friendly price of £9.95. More details on www.mlfhs.org.uk/Bookshop/index.html

Kate - and a much more reasonable price than the £100 or so that I currently see knocking about for the book. I've not been tempted but will now rush off for the CD. Thanks

John

B)

(returning 5 minutes having ordered it. And it includes the platoon photos. I'm dead impressed)

£100 for the book!!!!!!?????

Right, that's settled. I've just ordered the CD,so I think that I've got an original copy of the book for sale!

I didn't know they were going for that!!!!!

Dave.

When you two take delivery of your CDs, could you perhaps post a product review here. I'd be interested to know how it compares with the original for reproduction, ease of use etc. I've got a copy of the book, and as I am only researching one man in the 6th Manchesters it isn't really top of my wants list. However, the MSLFHS are obviously very active in the publishing field, and there may be other interested parties who would like to know how you get on.

Kate/Dave/others

More than happy to do a review when it comes. Hopefully it'll also have the employer pages in it - the sales list didnt mention that.

In my same internet surf yesterday, I've also picked up a second hand copy of "Manchester Pals" - which I've been trying to get for the last couple of years !! Also only a tenner

Not bad so far. I just need a reasonably priced "16th, 17th, 18th, 19th battalions, Manchester Regiment" and I'll be a happy man. And before anyone asks - MOre than £40 is probably unreasonable - I'll keep visiting the library !!!!

John

B)

Will do,Kate.

John.If I'd known (whoops! ,I didn't read your earlier post!),I've got a spare copy of "Manchester Pals" that you could have had for postage cost!!!! It was given to me by a bookshop that had "gone under" but I'd already got it.

By the way, I'm told that the regimental museum is hoping to (re)publish the history of the 11th Mancs. this year on the same format that they've done the 12th and 21st Battalions.

Dave.

I've just taken delivery of my City Btns. CD (extremely fast delivery!) and can report that it is excellent,highly recommended.It's the original book in PDF format and ,therefore operates the same as the original as regards to research.However the CD has an extra bonus.There is an alphabetical index of names,giving battallion/platoon/etc. details that wasn't in the original.This makes searching alot faster.All photographs are present.

Unfortunately,the second part of the book (lists of employees of various Manchester firms and companies who had joined up) is not on the CD. This is presently being compiled into a companion CD-ROM (hopefully again with an alphabetical index) available shortly.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the CD but will be keeping hold of my original book untill at least when the second CD is released.

Dave.

Guest dave neale

Kate,

Many thanks from me to, for the "heads up" on the CD! I shall place my order tomorrow.

It will certainly save on the wear and tear of my copy of Manchester Roll of Honour. I dont like to have to keep putting it under the scanner! especially as I paid in excess of 100 quid. My extreme keeness to buy the copy must have shown through...........

John,

If you come across two copies of the "16th, 17th, 18th, 19th battalions, Manchester Regiment" drop me a line...........

Dave

Dave (Croonaert) - I reckon I've had a successful week so not fussed about the £10 for Manchester Pals. If you're trying to offload to a worthy casue, I know the regimental museum didnt have one a few months ago.

And I reckon I'm just going to have to keep visiting the library for employer look-ups in the Roll of Honour for a while longer. How come you've got your copy all the way up the M6 and I havnt got mine just round the corner?

Dave (Neale) - wotcha, mate. There are copies of the "16th ......" book around on the second-hand websites (Abebooks.com & Bookfinder.com), but I'm not forking out £75 for one.

John

B)

How come you've got your copy all the way up the M6 and I havnt got mine just round the corner?

All the way up the M6???? I don't live in Carlisle ,John!!! More like 20 minutes up the M66!........(must be favouritism to the "old county" ) :D

If you don't fancy a trip to the library,drop me a line and I'll do your employer look ups if you want,John.

By the way.The "Manchester pals" book has now gone to a good home.Thanks for your interest to all concerned.

dave.

Just my luck! On the day I am going to meet a chap over the hill in far-away Yorkshire to collect my copy of The Manchesters book (EBay £51) I find there is a cd copy available! Story of my life. Andy Fitton. :angry:

Andy

Nothing like the real thing, a library of books is far more impressive than a rack of CDs. If you got it for 51 quid you can afford the CD as well!!

John

Andy,

Best thing to do is put it on the shelf marked "pension fund" and note that it sells for around £100 in the book trade. You got a bargain and the second part is yet to be released on CD. You can also have to fun of going through the pages three times before you find the name you are looking for as Kate did!

Best thing to do is put it on the shelf marked "pension fund" and note that it sells for around £100 in the book trade.

I've got to agree with Martin here. I've got the CD and the book.I've every intention of keeping the book for a few more years - see what it's worth in 2014!!!!

Dave.