Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with cap badge/unit

johnnie

I was wondering if anybody might be able to tell me which unit this man is serving with from his cap badge.

I had wondered Cheshire Regiment, but was sure a few other units had similar badges.

Any help would be great?

Jonathan

post-11843-1244191660.jpg

post-11843-1244191756.jpg

Looks like the East Surrey Regiment to me, (The Queen's Regiment).

post-38150-1244196279.jpg

Hello Jonathan

I don't think it's the Cheshires - there badge had a spray of acorns.

A lot of regiments had as their badge an eight-pointed star, with a crowjn on the top point, and some distinctive badge in the middle. It was derived from the old shako or helmet plate. The East Surreys were one such, but there were others.

And, incidentally, it was the West Surreys, not the East, who were The Queen's.

Ron

I'm inclined to agree East Surrey - 34th Foot (not Queen's -3rd Foot)) but the scroll seems to be some distance from the star in the photograph - maybe he has his chin strap over the star and behind the scroll?

Hello Jonathan,

It could be the East Yorkshire Regiment which, from a distance, looks very similar to the Cheshire Regiment cap badge. The soldier appears to be from a Cyclist Battalion, one Battalion of the E Yorks was a Cyclist Battalion ! Is it possible to get a close up of his shoulder title ?

Regards

Ron

Hello Jonathan

I don't think it's the Cheshires - there badge had a spray of acorns.

A lot of regiments had as their badge an eight-pointed star, with a crowjn on the top point, and some distinctive badge in the middle. It was derived from the old shako or helmet plate. The East Surreys were one such, but there were others.

And, incidentally, it was the West Surreys, not the East, who were The Queen's.

Ron

Ron,

Apologies (all part of the same Reg. to me).

Regards

I think we might have our man in the East Yorkshire Regiment suggestion.

I have just been emailed the photo by a lady from my local area. I have been researching

the men of my village (Newbiggin By The Sea) who served in the Great War and she emailed

a photo of her GreatGreat Uncle who was killed and came from Newbiggin, but she also emailed

a photo of her Great Grandfather who survived but died back home on the 2nd December 1918 of flu. His

name was Philip Clarke, and is the man shown with the bike.

I have just checked ancestry, and it seems Philip Clarke, 225463, of the 5th East Yorkshire Regiment has pension

papers and they state he died on the 2/12/1918, so I assume this must be the same man. The 5th were a cyclists

battalion so that would seem to suggest why he has a bike in the photo.

All his service seems to have been in this country and he had no medal entitlment.

Jonathan

The 5th Bn orginally wore blackened brass badges. If this is your man then that practice must have stopped by the time of the photo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest milly17090
The 5th Bn orginally wore blackened brass badges. If this is your man then that practice must have stopped by the time of the photo.

Guest milly17090

Yes the 5th bn did have a blackened brass as their badge but it was a standard East Yorkshire badge which they painted black. I have a photo of the E Yorks cyclist bn and at least half of them are wearing the standard brass E Yorks badge unpainted.

Due to the less pronounced arms of the star, and the distinct flatter angle of the scroll, I would lean heavily towards the East Yorkshire Regiment.

Seph

post-18081-1245350964.jpg

Yes the 5th bn did have a blackened brass as their badge but it was a standard East Yorkshire badge which they painted black. I have a photo of the E Yorks cyclist bn and at least half of them are wearing the standard brass E Yorks badge unpainted.

Can you show the picture as I would be really keen to see it.