Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alan Wilson Morey

Andrew Smith

G'day All,

I am in unfamiliar territory. I need information on an RFC pilot Alan Wilson MOREY 60 Squadron who was killed in action when he collided with Ltn. Martin Möbius of Jasta 7.

I am aware that Morey was a Rhodes Scholar and have his pre war life pretty well down pat, but I need to know a few things.

He enlisted as a Lt. with the Royal Scots and obtained his RAeC in April 1916.

His brother was Geoffrey Wilson Morey RNAS and via correspondence with Geoff's daughter she mentioned Alan.

She stated that Alan was shot down and lost a leg as a consequence of this action and returned to flying sometime later. The family states that during his combat with Ltn. Möbius he rammed the German resulting in both of their deaths.

Now the questions.

Is there any truth to this ramming theory, do 60 Sqn SRB state this or do the citars of others in that combat reflect this?

Through Greg VanWyngarden I know that Capt. F.O. Soden led the patrol after Capt. J.B. Crompton was forced to return to base with a loose high tension terminal.

When did Alan get shot down? Did he lose a leg?

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew, The Royal Flying Corps Communiques for 1917/18 (as edited by Chas Bowyer) for the 24th January 1918 - Communique No: 124 - contains a sentence that might help. It is mentioned that 2nd Lt F Clark of 60 squadron was attacked by an Albatros scout. Lt A W Morey, also of 60 squadron, made a left hand bank towards the enemy aircraft and collided with it. Both machines crashed.

Regards

Steve

Andrew, The collision is also confirmed in Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield". In brief, whilst flying on an offensive patrol in his SE5a No: B4897, Lt A W Morey collided with an enemy aircraft at 12:10pm 24th January 1918, south west of Becelaere at 12,000 feet. No mention is made in the book of Lt Morey's earlier crash or the loss of his leg. Lt Morey's death also gets a mention in Chris Hobsen's "Airmen Died in the Great War", the only extra details being that he held the MC at the time of his death and is listed on the Arras Memorial as he had no know grave.

Regards

Steve

He also gets a mention in the London Gazette as follows:

Gazette Issue 29629 published on the 20 June 1916. Page 7 of 64

ESTABLISHMENTS.

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are

made: —

1st June 1916

Temp. Lt. A. W. Morey, R. Scots, and to

be transfd. to the Gen. List.

Andrew, The collision is also confirmed in Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield". In brief, whilst flying on an offensive patrol in his SE5a No: B4897, Lt A W Morey collided with an enemy aircraft at 12:10pm 24th January 1918, south west of Becelaere at 12,000 feet. No mention is made in the book of Lt Morey's earlier crash or the loss of his leg. Lt Morey's death also gets a mention in Chris Hobsen's "Airmen Died in the Great War", the only extra details being that he held the MC at the time of his death and is listed on the Arras Memorial as he had no know grave.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve,

The evidence sugests a flying accident in combat.

This from Greg VanWyngarden

"The historian Stew Taylor wrote in his appendices to Jacobs' diary (as edited by Stephen Lawson and published in C & C Vol. 25 No. 4,1994 p. 90) that: "At 1210 hrs, 24 Jan. 1918 Capt. J.B. Crompton and Capt. F.O., Soden led a ten machine offensive patrol of 60 Sqdn SE5a's. Capt. Crompton returned with a loose high tension terminal and Capt. Soden continued to lead the control. About 1250 hrs an EA collided at 12,000 ft with Lt. A W Morey in SE5a B4897 over the German side of the lines. Both aircraft crashed southeast of Houthulst Forest."

The collision happened but the family state that Morey rammed Möbius. I am digging to see if the information they have forwarded on is corroberated via a Citar or 60 squadrons SRB.

Regards,

Andrew.

Alan Wilson Morey was one of the possible candidates for inclusion in my book Qaravi Na'i Tavi, about soldiers from Fiji in WW1. However the link to Fiji was too tenuous, so he was not included, but I still have some background information on him.

He was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship in 1914.

He was "well- known to everyone in Fiji" according to the Fiji Times newspaper, because he was the nephew of C R Morey of Suva, and must have spent time in Fiji at some stage

Christine

Alan Wilson Morey was one of the possible candidates for inclusion in my book Qaravi Na'i Tavi, about soldiers from Fiji in WW1. However the link to Fiji was too tenuous, so he was not included, but I still have some background information on him.

He was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship in 1914.

He was "well- known to everyone in Fiji" according to the Fiji Times newspaper, because he was the nephew of C R Morey of Suva, and must have spent time in Fiji at some stage

Christine

Hi Christine,

Can you shed a bit more light on who C.R. Morey was, as I am in communication with Alan's 80 year old Niece and I am sure she would love the connection.

A misconception is that Alan was born in Adelaide, thats not correct he was actually born in Newcastle, NSW on March 1st 1893. Reference NSW birth, deaths and Marriages birth certificate number 25264/1893. His RAeC also states his birth place as Newcastle.

I would love to get a copy of your book is it available in Australia??

Regards,

Andrew

By the way there's a photo of SE5a B4897 in Sturtivant and Page's SE5 File (p.36).

The same book describes a couple of incidents involving Morey in SE5a B510 - a combat on 18.12.17 and him being wounded in combat on 29.12.17, but I definitely have no corresponding Casualty Report for him or this aircraft on the 29th - and I transcribed them all, even if only the ones involving action with the enemy finally got into my book!

I can only think the authors (Sturtivant and Page) got the info from the Cross and Cockade 60 Sqn articles of many years ago - but I'll also check in the History of 60 Sqn (book) if I get a mo.

Regards,

Trevor

By the way there's a photo of SE5a B4897 in Sturtivant and Page's SE5 File (p.36).

The same book describes a couple of incidents involving Morey in SE5a B510 - a combat on 18.12.17 and him being wounded in combat on 29.12.17, but I definitely have no corresponding Casualty Report for him or this aircraft on the 29th - and I transcribed them all, even if only the ones involving action with the enemy finally got into my book!

I can only think the authors (Sturtivant and Page) got the info from the Cross and Cockade 60 Sqn articles of many years ago - but I'll also check in the History of 60 Sqn (book) if I get a mo.

Regards,

Trevor

Thanks Trevor I really appreciate the help.

I am starting to think that if he lost a leg, it may have been when he was serving with the Royal Scots. More digging, but thats part of the fun.

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Christine,

Can you shed a bit more light on who C.R. Morey was, as I am in communication with Alan's 80 year old Niece and I am sure she would love the connection.

A misconception is that Alan was born in Adelaide, thats not correct he was actually born in Newcastle, NSW on March 1st 1893. Reference NSW birth, deaths and Marriages birth certificate number 25264/1893. His RAeC also states his birth place as Newcastle.

I would love to get a copy of your book is it available in Australia??

Regards,

Andrew

I couldn't find out any more than that about CR Morey, but there were also cousins from Tasmania- Sister Evelyn Morey and Wilfred Morey, and a Harold Whalley Morey who was actually born in Fiji, son of C F Morey. CF and CR might be the same person. I did not explore the family connections.

In regard to my book, just email me with your order, giving your postal address, and I will give you my Australian bank account details. As soon as your payment appears on the statement, I will post you the book.

Christine

Thanks Christine,

I will drop you a line soon.

Andrew.

OK. Glad to see your avatar- H V Worrall. He's in the book!

• 1 month later...

Regards,

Trevor

G'day Trevor,

Just wondering if you ever got the chance to look this up.

Regards,

Andrew

• 8 years later...

Bumping this thread up as yesterday was the 100th anniversary of his death.

I just saw this  excellent colourized photo of him (credit to work by Callan Chevin). This led me to do a little searching. There are a couple of older threads here on GWF relating to his RFC service and 60 Squadron RFC and also some regarding his Royal Scots service.

Newspaper article from December 1915 notes he was gazetted Lieutenant in 11th Royal Scots October 1914. He went to France 11/5/1915 per his medal index card. He was awarded MC for an action in September 1915 in which he was also wounded in the shoulder. He is then noted as being wounded second time in the newspaper of 1st December 1915 (so probably wounded late November). He is also listed as Mentioned in Dispatches 1st January 1916 but this could relate to the previous incident where he was wounded. So possibly transferred to RFC when he recovered from his second wound. He gets several mentions in the newspaper and one has another photo from the same set, so I'd guess he had a photo session just after he won the MC.

IWM also have a photo of him though this has him noted as being Royal Scots Fusiliers.  

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205386235

Purchased by IWM in August 1918 from Lafayette Ltd. In this one he is not wearing his MC ribbon. It's possible he returned to the same photographer for the later photos.

31032_A200030-00060.jpg

26991978_10215483856074172_616252957961151450_n.jpg

medals.jpg

Extract on Morey's loss from my Osprey history of 60 Sqdn.

'The weather continued unfavourable and it was not until 24 January that the next combats, and loss, were recorded. A patrol at noon was attacked by an Albatros which dived out of the sun and attacked Lt. Fred Clark. Alan Morey saw this, turned towards the enemy scout, but collided with it, cutting it in half and losing both wings from one side of his SE at 12,000ft. The Albatros pilot killed in the collision was Ltn. Mobius who, bizarrely was awarded  Mory as a victory

Edited by alex revell
typo

• 9 months later...

Andrew, I am compiling info for a book on Alan Morey. I have letters from various sources and have done a bit of family background. I am heading to England next year for a visit as my son lives there and am hoping to do some research through the Imperial War Museum. From the information I have, Morey did not lose his leg but still had to walk with the aid of sticks. I too and struggling to find out his exact movements after convalescing at Chatsworth House to his accident in about June 1916 until he went to 60 Sqn in November 1917. He was credited with 2 kills, one on 18 December 1917 (joint with Capt Soden) and then Martin Mobius on 24 January 1918. In the 60 Sqn book by AJL Scott, the Mobius 'kill' is classified as 'Rammed'. I have also been to Mobius's grave in the Vladso German War Cemetery up near Diksmuide, Belgium. Happy to swap whatever info we can.