Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Bn. Cheshire Regiment

Guest Lee G

Hello,

I was wondering whether any of the forum experts might be able to place where the 13th Bn. Cheshires were around the 16th of Dec 1916. The CWGC website lists my Great Uncle as follows:

Private W STEVENSON

49572, 13th Bn., Cheshire Regiment

who died on 20 December 1916

Remembered with honour

BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION

Many thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee,

I`m no expert but at a glance try Bevan H T K.I.A 06/12/16 Regimental number W/845.

I`ll see if I can find out any more for you.

Gordon.

Lee

William Brooke 33391 02/12/16

Harold Thomas Bevan W849 06/12/16

James Burns 49596 07/12/16

Alfred Edwards 49206 20/12/16

Henry Fenna 24876 03/12/16

You could see were these guys are buried, that might narrow it down a bit. Failing that your best bet is the Battalion War Diary, that might even narrow it down to which trenches they were in.

Gordon

L/Cpl George Ashurst Cheshire Regt. My Great Grandfather, France, Salonica, France, wounded in action Oct 18, France.

post-2-1081766571.jpg

Hi Lee

The 25th Division History has this to say about their location in Dec 1916:-

"The 31st October, Divisional HQ moved to Bailleul and 7th (Brig Gen Onslow, 74th [inc 13 Ches] (Brig Gen Bethel) and 75th (Brig Gen Baird) Brigades took over the Ploegsteert sector. With a frontage of about 6000 yards, the line extended from the River Lys on the right, to Hill 63 on the left, which was later taken on by the Ulster Division, when St Ives became the northern boundary of the Divisional Front.

From the beginning of January................"

"No incident of special mention occurred during the 14 weeks spent in this sector of the line, though several raids on the enemy's trenches were carried out with varying success" [no mention of raids in early Dec.]

Thanks Gordon & Richard,

Interesting stuff. I've taken your advice and asked someone to look at the Battalion War Diary held at Chester (Cheshire Regimental Museum). I'll see what they can turn up or will that only repeat what the 25th Division History says?

Gordon, I could have a go at cleaning up the picture of your GGrandfather if you like (I've done one or two before with some success). If that's the highest resolution picture that you have of him I can take it from the forum. However if you have a better high res version then you could e-mail it. If it proves to be a little difficult then at least I can say I tried. Let me know...

Lee

Richard,

Thanks. Are you responsible for this website?

We For England Died

Great stuff. I've just found my GGrandfather and his brothers on the SANDBACH St MARY's GREAT WAR ROLL OF HONOUR and his nephew on the SANDBACH St MARY's SECOND WORLD WAR MEMORIAL PLAQUE.

Lee

Guilty! E-mail me off-forum (click on my name in the message heading), let me know your family name and I'll give what I have.