Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

30th US Infantry

relichunter

Hi John (relichunter)

Just an FYI by coincidence I ran accross a copy of the Knox County book this weekend so if you have problems getting hold of a copy let me know and I can scan it for you.

Chris

Thanks Chris

I was able to look at the website very quickly this morning before work. Maybe I can get a better look at it when I get home this afternoon.

John

Here is the map from the Knox County book:

looks like we were about right. 117th area of operations is the shaded area.

Chris

post-14525-1244743939.jpg

Thanks Chris,

A couple of days ago I ordered a book entitled "American Armies & Battlefields in Europe". Hope to receive it soon. I understand it has alot of maps and tells where units were during the war.

John

Here is the map from the Knox County book:

looks like we were about right. 117th area of operations is the shaded area.

Chris

post-14525-1244743939.jpg

Thanks Chris,

A couple of days ago I ordered a book entitled "American Armies & Battlefields in Europe". Hope to receive it soon. I understand it has alot of maps and tells where units were during the war.

John

It does - it is where the first map I posted came from. Drop me an email if you would like a hi res scan of the map from the Knox book.

Chris

I would recommend the following books and sites: Duty Honor Privilege by Stephen Harris, which tells the story of the 107t Inf. Reg of the 27th Div., which as many others have pointed out fought alonside the 30th on Sept 29. Also Borrowed Soldiers by Mitch Yokelson tells the story of both Divs. who were sent to fight as part of the BEF. I would also recommend Oryans Roughnecks, which has some amazing information especially battle maps, order of battle, aerial photos etc. Also the site admin is always looking for information and photos so if you are willing to contribute he would be more than grateful. Additionally, here are some photos: The First are the American Monument near Mt Kemmel where the 30tha nd 27th were originally posted and the others are the American Monument at Bellicourt on the Somme

post-3373-1244837175.jpg

post-3373-1244837223.jpg

post-3373-1244837312.jpg

post-3373-1244837353.jpg

Thanks for the information. I was thinking today after reading in the book "American Armies and Battlefields in Europe" about the battle of Bellicourt, if there were any other books telling more about the battle. I remember my grandpa telling me that in one battle his unit (117th Inf.) was lying on the ground as close as they could get and the German machine guns actually cut his knapsack off his back. He said after the battle he counted 7 bullet holes in his uniform but he was not hit. He said he knew it from his mother at home praying for him that he did not get hit.

This morning when I read about the battle of Bellicourt on Sept. 29, how the German army came up behind the reserve units from the canal tunnels and from 50 yards away started firing at them with machine guns I suddenly remembered what he told me.

Thanks again for the information and the pictures.

John

• 1 month later...

Regarding the US 30th Infantry Division "Old Hickory" - you may find something of interest here:

http://www.archives.ncdcr.gov/wwI/OldNorthState/index.htm It's oriented to North Carolina soldiers, but has info regarding the service of the whole division.

The 30th Division had more soldiers awarded the Medal of Honor than any other in the AEF. Interestingly, some friends and I toured the site of Camp Sevier a few months ago (in original WWII era vehicles - but I digress) and there are still a few original buildings remaining. One, a former magazine, is a private home. The owner says that he needs neither heat nor air conditioning due to the thick walls maintaining a relatively constant temperature inside. Fascinating that any survive with the expansion of Greenville, South Carolina.

By the way, I'm a serious collector of 30th Division related material. I served in the 30th in the '70s as a National Guardsman.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lynn Julius
Regarding the US 30th Infantry Division "Old Hickory" - you may find something of interest here:

http://www.archives.ncdcr.gov/wwI/OldNorthState/index.htm It's oriented to North Carolina soldiers, but has info regarding the service of the whole division.

The 30th Division had more soldiers awarded the Medal of Honor than any other in the AEF. Interestingly, some friends and I toured the site of Camp Sevier a few months ago (in original WWII era vehicles - but I digress) and there are still a few original buildings remaining. One, a former magazine, is a private home. The owner says that he needs neither heat nor air conditioning due to the thick walls maintaining a relatively constant temperature inside. Fascinating that any survive with the expansion of Greenville, South Carolina.

By the way, I'm a serious collector of 30th Division related material. I served in the 30th in the '70s as a National Guardsman.

Cheers!

I have information on the 1117th Inf that i woulod like to share with you. Please contact me @ ljulius@att.net

• 5 years later...

It is a shame that there is so little about the II U.S. Corps out there generally. I've read "Borrowed Soldiers" and there are a couple of other books that deal with the II Corps in the context of San Quentin Tunnel. But compared with the books dealing with the actions of the rest of the AEF, it is not much. My grandfather served in the 119th Infantry, 30th Division. I'd like to understand more about his service. But since the II Corps was attached to the British Fourth Army, most histories of the AEF give it no more than a couple of sentences. Histories of the British Army ignore it completely.

They were American soldiers who had a brief, but hard war. Ultimately, it was a very British war. They carried Lee Enfields. They ate bully beef. When their uniforms had to be replaced, they wore British uniforms. They fought battles that do not resonate with their own countrymen, they way that Belleau Wood and Chateau Thierry do. It is a shame that their American historians to not pay more attention to the II Corps.

• 4 years later...

I am doing research on my familu tree. Simalar to John My grandpa was in WW1

117th Infantry 30th Division Company A, I have his silver citation paper work from the recommending officer. He later was injured and recieved a purple heart. His discharge papers list 2 battles I can make out somme, ypres. Iisted as battles  can not make out the others. 

Looking for troop movements to help fill in the gaps.

Eddie Dean, Fort Payne Ala

Hi Eddie - welcome to the forum

Based on the Orbat (lists locations of Div HQ) 30th Division movements were:

arrived Calais, Pas de Calais (Fr) May 24

Nordausques May 27

Watou (Bel) July 4

Esdaile Camp (Nr Watou Bel) Aug 8 - elements in line w/ British II Army

Vogeltje (Bel)  Aug 18 - in line w/British II Army

Esdaile Camp (Nr Watou Bel) Sept 4 rear area

Rollecourt (Pas de Calais Fr) Sept 5

Herrisart (Somme Fr) Sept 18

Bois de Buire (Nr Tincourt-Bouley Aisne Fr) Sept 22 - with Austrailians (4th Army) in reserve

Sept 24/25 as above in line

"Quarry" near Roisel, Somme (Fr) Sept 28

Bois de Buire (Aisne Fr) Oct 1 reserve

Hebercourt (Somme Fr) Oct 2 reserve

Templeux-le Guerad (Quarry) Oct 6 in line

Montbrehain (Aisne) Oct 10

Querrieu (Somme) Oct 22

which I think was their location at the signing of the armistice

Feb 1919 - Le Mans (Fr)

March 11 1919 St Nazaire for shipping home

April 2nd Demob in S. Carolina (Camp Jackson)

Chris

PS: Ypres and Somme may be in reference to battle "bars" for his victory medal.

Edited by 4thGordons

• 1 month later...

Hello John,

My Great Uncle, U.S. Army Pvt. Luke D. Hunter was in Company E of the 117th Infantry, 30th Division.  His name and death information is engraved on his mother's tombstone in Jackson County Tennessee. The inscription says that he was killed on October 8, 1918 in Premont, France.

Was the body returned to his family in Tennessee or was he buried in one of the cemeteries near Premont?

Is it possible to learn the circumstances of his death during the battle near/or in Premont?  

Your forum is most interesting, and I have certainly appreciated learning about the 30th US Division there.

Thank you!

Bill Hunter

• Admin

Welcome Bill. John hasn’t visited the forum since 2011. After you have made two posts you can try to contact him via private messenger.

Michelle 

Bill - Pvt Hunter does not appear to be listed on the American Battlefields Monuments database which strongly suggests his mortal remains were repatriated.

Have you looked to see if an honor roll exists for Jackson Co Tn? (often called "with the colors from Jackson Co" or some variation thereof) if it exists it may well have some biographical details and perhaps a picture. If his remains were repatriated it is possible the local newspaper will have covered it - If you search for records between 1918 and 1924 you might find something.

The other place you could look is the records of Gold Star Mothers Pilgrimages - but as I can find no record of him in the ABMC database I suspect he was returned home.

The TN archives are pretty complete - and there is no listing for a Luke Hunter of Jackson Co SEE HERE

In fact I can find no Luke HUNTER anywhere in the TN "Gold Star" Soldiers database - (See here)

The only Hunter I can find is CONRAD HUNTER (killed Oct 9)

- is it possible he enlisted from another state? (where he was resident at the time?) you might be able to find more records there.

Chris

Bill

Luke D Hunter, 1307972, Private, Co E 117th Infantry, his body was repatriated to the USA on USAT Somme. Leaving Calais on 27 February 1921 arriving Hoboken on 14 March.

Aled

1 hour ago, Carmania said:

Bill

Luke D Hunter, 1307972, Private, Co E 117th Infantry, his body was repatriated to the USA on USAT Somme. Leaving Calais on 27 February 1921 arriving Hoboken on 14 March.

Aled

Well done (Again!) Aled!

(Hope you are well)

Chris

4 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Well done (Again!) Aled!

(Hope you are well)

Chris

Fine thanks Chris, hope you are the same. Been a while now.

Aled

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone for the help with my research on my grandfathers time in WW1 with your assistance and the my grandmother kept everything . I am blessed enough to have found his original discharge papers and some original correspondence on his silver citation award.  

Enlist in Chattanooga Tennessee  July 18/1917

Served July 19th 1917 to 8/5/1917 National Guard Unit

On 8/5/1917 drafted into full service  

May 23rd 1918 he was in France

7-17-1918 to 9-5-1918 it list Def Ypres Sector Belgium

Citation for acts of meritorious acts was  written 9/11/1918 for events on 7/7/1918 according to the letter written my Major General Lewis

9-24-1918 to 10-7-1918 Hindenburg line offensive Bellicourt ,Hourney, Pouhourt & Geneva 

10-18-1918 Severely Injured and taken to Premount till 3-27-19 ( head Injury Silver Plate in his head in the fields ) 

Discharge 4-11-1919

I need some further info if you all might help again. Info on Hourney, Pouhourt  & Premont are these cities, battles I cant find anything matching these names or spellings. 

How do I get Purple heart information on what happened to earn a purple heart. I know his injury and the family stories Id be happy to share my scanned documents of his service  records they have so many stamps and note on them  I do not know that they all mean. I always thought that he was only with the 117th  Co, A, that what discharge papers say but under remarks it implies 4-19-1919 to discharge he was assigned to  "34 com, 10 Bu, 57 DB  until date of discharge left HS 5/11/1919

I cant find any info on this unit and he was already injured by then and in a hospital in France