Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

McCrae's Battalion

Rodge Dowson

If you only buy one WWI book this year make it, 'McCrae's Battalion' by Jack Alexander this is one of the most detailed and accurate battalion histories I have seen. Jack spent 12 years researching this book and it shows in the quality of detail he brings to it. I must confess I bought it 2 months back but have only just started it ,but can't put it down. The 16th Royal Scots were the 2nd City of Edinburgh, they must rank as one of the finest of the Kitchener battalions. At least 30 footballers from Heart's and other teams in Scotland served in this battalion, many would not return home. There are some very good maps, drawings and a selection of excellent photos in the book, which is in hardback and published by Mainstream.

Couldn't agree more...I've read it twice already and am thoroughly tempted to read it again. Absolutely fantastic.

A must buy!

Tim

• 3 months later...

An absolutely fantastic book. To take 12 years researching has made the end result well worth it. It also gives a view of what the men of the British Army went through. Superb book!!

There is an article in the Edinburgh Evening News tonight with George McRae's grandson from Vancouver who is to unveil the newly built Memorial at Contalmaison in November this year. It is a cairn with four bronze name panels on it.

Aye

Malcolm

Anyone interested in the 15th and 16th,Royal Scots and the new memorial cairn

might want to visit this site.

www.likeyoudo.org.uk/gwmc/index.html

Colin H

Can any Edinburgh resident have a word with W.H. Smiths in Waverley Station please.

Changed trains there last Wednesday and Saturday and hoped to pick up a copy of the Book without success.

Plenty of books about Scotland and Edinburgh and some WW1.

Smith's seem to be missing a ready audience with this oversight.

George

p.s. tried to buy a copy in Aberdeen,also without success!