Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required with regiment name on marriage cert

Custard-the-cat

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could take an educated guess at the following regiment please.

I have a marriage certificate in 1907 where one of my ancestors is listed but I can not decipher the regiment. I am sorry it was before the Great War, however I am hoping that someone using this site may know the answer as the regiment may have still existed in the Great War

The ink simply does not seem to have remained on the certificate or the GRO have not copied it particularly well.

The letters I can see under rank or profession are:

'Sergeant in HM

Regiment of SPACE e (the e on this line may in fact be a '&')

A w Artillery. (The A at the beginning of this this line may be a H)

The sergeant in question may have been Scottish, from Hampshire or the North East of England.

Many thanks

Custard-the-cat

Custard the Cat

Post a picture or the part you can't read I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to figure it out.

Ray

Without seeing the document in question and from what you have told us, Royal Horse Artillery springs to mind, it could also be Field or Garrison Artillery.

Jon

All I got is possibly RHA with jay bubaya'.

Post the cert if possible.

Regards

Custard the Cat

Post a picture or the part you can't read I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to figure it out.

Ray

Thanks Ray, Jay Dubaya and CT Guards.

I have thought about horse or regiment of foot, but I dont think they quite fit (although I may well be wrong about that).

I tried to upload the entire marriage certificate, however the file size was far too large as only allowed to upload 100k - so I am just adding the rank or profession part bit in black and white. After looking at a high quality colour scan and the basic one I am adding here I don't think the former was actually much better to read.

By the way the marriage certificate was from 1907, however he may have been in the regiment a significant time before as he was dead by 1907 (maybe the 1880s or 1890s). Hope no one minds me adding this query to a WW1 forum, I have just run out of ideas to solve this puzzle and think that with some luck there may be someone with the expertise on this site to solve the problem.

Thanks everyone

post-46729-1243779508.jpg

If we assume the ink has faded or rubbed off where the spaces are, it looks as though it might be H.M. (ie His Majesty's) Regiment of Royal Horse Artillery.

This looks very like one of those certificates that are photocopied onto pre-printed forms by ONS or the local register office. Is this a church wedding ? If this is the case, go to the local County archive where the church registers should have been deposited, or go to your nearest LDS research centre where they might have a copy on film. If they don't have it, they will get it in for you at little or no charge.

Owen Hales

Good point, and if it's from the GRO it's only a transcription anyway, albeit made near the time. You could try ringing the local register office and asking them to check their copy, which will be one of the originals. Some are more helpful than others! but some are very very helpful indeed.

Possibly...

Sergeant in North....

Regiment of....

4th W Artillery. 4th being a depot, garrison artillery devided into W (Western), E (Eastern( & S (Southern).

Rgds Paul