Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"AUTOGRAPH" album found/ WOUNDED soldiers?--Part 2.( final)

20th Division

Names of entries. (Not chronological).--continued.

55(5) 6. HAWARD. Pt. S.A. 1/4th Norfolks. (wounded sept 16th SUVLA)

2404 WAKERMAN (?). driver. K (7) R.E.

1114. SMEETON. driver W.

2409 ELLIS. Driver S.A. 1/1 Kent field Co. R.E.

2195. FORD. ( H.D.?). D. coy. 2nd. S.A. (?).

1536. ROBSON. Pt. B. 1st. South African Inf.

THOMPSON. Spr. H.A. W.M.R. (N.J.??).

10/3(8)05. JENNER ( KERNER??) N.Z.E.F. ( WELLINGTON).

D.R.D. Pt. 1st S.A.inf'

19096 LAKE (H?). 3rd Northhamptons. Great lines camp.

19029 CLARK. W. ditto.

19025 KERRY. A. DITTO.

WILDMAN ( Wilkinson?). L/Cpl. R.W. Middx. Regt.

2/Lt. SPIERS. Cyril. D. ( G.P.F.) "Gloucesters".

4617. ( RANALE ?). Pt. A. 2nd Royal Sussex reg't.

HODSON. Dvr. ( J.E). R.F.A.

EDWARDS. H.R. "ROCHESTER EAST. VICTORIA. AUS.

BROOKES. L/Cpl. Cecil. E. 3rd. Royal West Kents. H Coy.

T/259 BEARDSWORTH. Royal West Kents.

PASSMORE. F.O. 1st South Africa. Infantry.

567 O'NEILL. Pt. (W.J.) Machine gun section. 3rd regt. 1st S.A. Brigade.

WOOD. Pt. L. 3rd Royal West Kents.

Dave.

Dave

Haven't checked them all, by any means but Pte Sidney Alwin Haward has 14 pages of his pension record on WO364.

Dvr Frederick T Wakeman and Sapper William Smeeton were both TF Royal Engineers and Dvr Wakeman looks as though he was 1/1 Kent Field Company man, the same as Driver George A Ellis.

If you do start thoroughly researching these men you'll find that numbers and unusual names are a boon. The majority of my Chailey men didn't record their numbers and so finding out information about them has been a hard slog.

Good luck.

Dave

Haven't checked them all, by any means but Pte Sidney Alwin Haward has 14 pages of his pension record on WO364.

Dvr Frederick T Wakeman and Sapper William Smeeton were both TF Royal Engineers and Dvr Wakeman looks as though he was 1/1 Kent Field Company man, the same as Driver George A Ellis.

If you do start thoroughly researching these men you'll find that numbers and unusual names are a boon. The majority of my Chailey men didn't record their numbers and so finding out information about them has been a hard slog.

Good luck.

Thanks Paul-------The information is useful and i will put in with the "album". Thanks for the link to the CHAILEY website-----------just been reading it. Very thorough and interesting-must have taken ages to get it together!!!! Not sure what I'm going to do about the info in my album-----when I get some time i may put it on the forum in copied form.

Will keep in touch on this one. and 2thanks" again for that info.

Best wishes Dave.

Dave

Good luck.

PAUL-----------Read your CHAILEY site again----really good--Inspired me to do same with the album I have. A project for the near future-having posession of this little Gem gives you a sense of 2responsibility" somehow doesn't it?--! Thanks again. DAVE.

• 3 years later...
Guest samshoward

55(5) 6. HAWARD. Pt. S.A. 1/4th Norfolks. (wounded sept 16th SUVLA)

The above soldier was my Gt Uncle, I would be very pleased if you could let me know of anything he wrote in the book and also what is in the 14 pages on WO364. Thank you for your help. Sam

• 1 month later...

Hi Sam,

Just got back onto the forum after an absence of a year or two. I'm out tonight but I'll find the page and get back tomorrow or saturday. (The 14 pages on wo364 relate to Paul Nixon's response to my posting on 29th May 2009--see the listing above 00scroll up) . I will photocopy what i have, best wishes Dave ( Norwich).

Hi again Sam,

I have sent you a personal message about this entry in my Autograph album i.e. 5556 Pt S A Haward 1/4th Norfolk Reg't.

The complete entry includes quite a moving 4 line poem---written by your Gt Uncle referring to to his experience in Gallipoli and when he was wounded on Sept 16th 1915. ( Suvla). I will forward a digital image of the complete entry to you. It's really good to have a direct contact with a relative of someone who has written in this amazing book --it's full of names, poems, drawings and memories of wounded soldiers who passed through Chatham Hospital. Best wishes. Dave ( Norwich).