Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"autograph" book found.c. 30 Soldiers names (wounded?)

20th Division

Phil,

thanks for confirming he survived, what it be possible for you to post his MIC on here if you have it please?

Dave,

thanks for this last poem of his.

Dave & Paul,

see you on the other Forum! (But don't neglect this fine establishment!) I have had some work today and some tomorrow so will not post until Sunday, so have not posted anything on Pte Wild yet so please feel free to add the poems etc to the site!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Scottie. After several previouse attempts I am still unable to post a MIC on forum. If anybody can explain in (preferably) simple terms I may be able to do so. They have been very easy to find on Ancestry.uk.co so if anybody who can do so please post them.

Phil,

somedays I struggle just to log on! :huh: so sadly I cannot help!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Phil,

somedays I struggle just to log on! :huh: so sadly I cannot help!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

PHIL------Thanks for the info--look forward to seing MIC etc. ( No good asking me anything technical re computers-----I still can't even get a pic' onto a forum-posting!!)

Re A. RANDLE. He has written a whole page!! "QUOTE"

Cowards die many hours before their deaths.

The valiant never taste of death but once. "Shakespeare".

AND.

Before you act just think a while.

Before you weep just try to smile

With thoughts and smiles go thro' life's way

and ever look forward to a happier day. 15/2/16.

" yours very sincerely

( Corp?) A. Randle 4617

2nd Royal Sussex regt.

BARHAM military hospital

Oatlands park Weybridge

Wounded at Hullock near LOOS Northern france 25th Sept 1915.

He had been in hospital 5 months when he wrote this--must have been wounded pretty badly!! Probably won his "award" at LOOS?--this is the second entry in the book of soldiers wounded at Hullock on 25th sept!!---some battle taking hill 70 eh? Best wishes dave.

Albert Randle sounds very interesting. The address on the MIC intrigues me, you don't get addresses like Goat Road nowdays. I will be looking up some of the others this evening. By the way on the MIC there is a squiggle that looks as if it could be 'sgt'.

Albert Randle sounds very interesting. The address on the MIC intrigues me, you don't get addresses like Goat Road nowdays. I will be looking up some of the others this evening. By the way on the MIC there is a squiggle that looks as if it could be 'sgt'.

Hi Phil. Just checked the album entry a bit more carefully------looks like a Pt. If you would like to see a copy of the original entry the only way I can do it with my limited knowledge of modern technology is to photograph it digitally and send you by e-mail. Happy to do this if it helps.

Another "poem" on the same page by RANDLE as follows ( it appears no end of times in the album by many people--so i suspect it was a common "ditty" at the time-but include it anyway. i.e.

A fellow feeling makes us wondrous kind

I wonder would the poet change his mind

if on a bus one day he chanced to find

a fellow feeling in his coat behind. ( 15/2/16 )

Lok forward to any info you uncover.

I will check internet maps to see if the address still exists. Best wishes Dave.

Hi Phil. Just checked the album entry a bit more carefully------looks like a Pt. If you would like to see a copy of the original entry the only way I can do it with my limited knowledge of modern technology is to photograph it digitally and send you by e-mail. Happy to do this if it helps.

Another "poem" on the same page by RANDLE as follows ( it appears no end of times in the album by many people--so i suspect it was a common "ditty" at the time-but include it anyway. i.e.

A fellow feeling makes us wondrous kind

I wonder would the poet change his mind

if on a bus one day he chanced to find

a fellow feeling in his coat behind. ( 15/2/16 )

Lok forward to any info you uncover.

I will check internet maps to see if the address still exists. Best wishes Dave.

PHIL.---Just checked ot GOAT RD ( FORTY HILL). The road names still exist BUT GOAT LANE not GOAT ROAD. It is a lttle south of the M25 and about 200 yds East of the A10 into London. Whether the house still exists is anyones guess! (When Im next down that way I'll check it out). Best wishes dave.

A few notes on the Northamptonshire Regiment men:

19025 Lance-Corporal Arthur Frederick Kerry. Enlisting in early May 1915, he went to France with the 1st Battalion in 1916 (no entitlement to 1914-15 Star). He was reported as Wounded as a Lance-Corporal in the Times of 21-7-1916. This probably occured whilst he was in the 1st Battalion, and possibly occured around the period 26th/27th June 1916 when the battalion was under heavy trench mortar bombardment at Maroc. He later transferred to the 7th battalion. Presumably he was wounded again with the 7th at some point as he was discharged on 16-5-1919, rather than being transferred to Class Z Reserve.

19029 Private William Clarke. Enlisted in early May 1915 and went overseas in 1916 (no entitlement to 1914-15 Star) with the 1st battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. He was reported as Killed as a Private per the Times of 23-8-1916. CWGC shows him as Killed in action as a Private with 1st Bn. on 20-7-1916. He is commemorated on THIEPVAL MEMORIAL. He formerly served as 98829 R.F.A. (UK or pre-war service). He was born at Romford, Essex, and enlisted at Holloway, Middlesex.

19096 Private Harold Lancelot Philip Lake enlisted on 15-5-1915. He was presumably trained with either the 3rd or 8th battalion, and was then posted to the 7th Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment to serve overseas some time in 1916 (no entitlement to 1914-15 Star). Reported as Wounded as a Private per the Times of 7-7-1916 - this may have been in a gas cloud attack on 17th June 1916 at Messines. He was discharged under KR 392 xvi (wounds) on 1-9-1916. (SWB List K/130. SWB Badge 60333). Harold Lancelot Philip Lake was born in 1896 at Weston-super-Mare (Axbridge RD), Somerset. He was the son of Charlie Lake (born circa 1864 at Swimbridge, Devon) and Mrs Annie Lake (born circa 1862 at Exeter). His brothers and sisters (as of the 1901 Census) were Ernest Charles (1888), Richard John (1891), Bertha Kate (1893), Francis Torrington (1893) and Reginald Pearse (1897).

Steve.

A few notes on the Northamptonshire Regiment men:

19025 Lance-Corporal Arthur Frederick Kerry. Enlisting in early May 1915, he went to France with the 1st Battalion in 1916 (no entitlement to 1914-15 Star). He was reported as Wounded as a Lance-Corporal in the Times of 21-7-1916. This probably occured whilst he was the 1st Battalion, and possibly occured around the period 26th/27th June 1916 when the battalion was under heavy trench mortar bombardment at Maroc. He later transferred to the 7th battalion. Presumably he was wounded again with the 7th at some point as he was discharged on 16-5-1919, rather than being transferred to Class Z Reserve.

19029 Private William Clarke. Enlisted in early May 1915 and went overseas in 1916 (no entitlement to 1914-15 Star) with the 1st battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. He was reported as Killed as a Private per the Times of 23-8-1916. CWGC shows him as Killed in action as a Private with 1st Bn. on 20-7-1916. He is commemorated on THIEPVAL MEMORIAL. He formerly served as 98829 R.F.A. (UK or pre-war service). He was born at Romford, Essex, and enlisted at Holloway, Middlesex.

19096 Private Harold Lancelot Philip Lake enlisted on 15-5-1915. He was presumably trained with either the 3rd or 8th battalion, and was then posted to the 7th Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment to serve overseas some time in 1916 (no entitlement to 1914-15 Star). Reported as Wounded as a Private per the Times of 7-7-1916 - this may have been in a gas cloud attack on 17th June 1916 at Messines. He was discharged under KR 392 xvi (wounds) on 1-9-1916. (SWB List K/130. SWB Badge 60333). Harold Lancelot Philip Lake was born in 1896 at Weston-super-Mare (Axbridge RD), Somerset. He was the son of Charlie Lake (born circa 1864 at Swimbridge, Devon) and Mrs Annie Lake (born circa 1862 at Exeter). His brothers and sisters (as of the 1901 Census) were Ernest Charles (1888), Richard John (1891), Bertha Kate (1893), Francis Torrington (1893) and Reginald Pearse (1897).

Steve.

STEVE--Thanks for this very in-depth information---really appreuiated!! There are NO dates with this entry----the fact that all 3 soldiers "signed" together from GREAT LINES Camp suggest they all turned-up at the Hospital together during the early stages of their training at great lines camp as their numbers are so close together!!--perhaps delivering something together on"fatigues"??----or on some sort of mediacal "check-up" ?? and perhaps asked to "sign" the autograph album there and then by the V.A.D. who owned the autiograph album !!---what different fates awaited them as the war progressed !!

Thanks a lot for this info-----all coming together to form a snapshot of history.

Best wishes Dave.

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys

I'm researching a Albert Randle 4617 2nd Royal Sussex

I found this web site by fate last night using a google search any imfo would be greatly appreciated

regards Darren

Goat ROAD may refer to being close to the Goat public house in Ponders End, Enfield which has a postcode of EN3

Goat LANE does appear to be also known as Forty Hill, near Forty Hall, so it may be that in the 100 years the road names may have changed, perhaps due to M25 construction?

4617 Randle also 152796 Labour Corps dis 24 10 18 went to France 7 4 15 65 Goat Road Forty Hill Enfield re enquiry of award DCM or MM 23 8 1927 served 21 11 14 = 24 10 18 dis wounds Badge number 120380 . Ralph.

Hi DARREN,

I have just gone into my original thread of seven years ago. I think I see what info you need now re 4617 Randle which your p.m. didn't make clear. I will check out the original entry in my autograph book for you. Was he a relation? I'd be interested top know. P.M. me if you need a copy of the original entry posted to you and I am happy to oblige. Best wishes. Dave.

Thanks for your help

I've got his service records also checked him for DCM he is not on the list is there anyway I can check for a MM??

many thanks Darren

Hi again Darren,

Sorry for delay in getting back. Busy at work and tomorrow ( 5thMay) I'm involved all day with elections etc ( 0630---10 pm_ ----also on Friday most of day------I promise I will get a copy to you of all I have in the album---it is interesting. I need you to PM me again please with your e-mail address if that is ok with you? I am unable to attach any pics with my postings on this site Im afraid---but will send to you direct via e mail attachment. I will get it off to you first thing Sturday or late Friday night. Hope this is OK with you?

Re checking his bravery awards----have you tried accessing his medal index card? this will give you all his MEDAL entitlements. Hope it works for you. Best wishes Dave.

Hi Dave

I understand busy day today.

I have a copy of his medal index card and it does query a DCM or MM I've checked the DCM records which he is not on but haven't anything to research the MM.

regards Darren

Hi Darren---on its way. dave.