Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th East Yorkshires, June 1916

Alan_J

I'm looking into some men who died in June 1916 from this battalion. Their War Diary does not seem to be available on-line at TNA yet, and I won't be going to Kew for a while. Just wondering if anyone has access to it and wouldn't mind giving me some information on where they were and what they were doing, particualrly on the 17th of June.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan

4th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

Map 28 Wytschaete

17 June 1916

12.25am Enemy released Gas opposite E trenches, the wind at the time was North and rather variable. It blew the gas across the 'New Cut' trench E3. E1. E6 trenches. The gas cloud was very thick and lasted about 20 minutes. Few casualties were caused at first, but the after effects proved fatal in several cases, 2nd Lt WF Carlton was killed in F Trench, 2nd Lt Gresham very severely wounded, 2nd Lt Sutton slightly wounded, 2nd Lt WRR Brown and 2nd Lt Marshall were affected by shock and gas and left the trenches.

The Total casualties were, Officers killed 1, wounded 3, other ranks killed 10, wounded 74, missing 1. 5 other ranks of the wounded subsequently died at the dressing station at LINDENHOEK. 2nd Lt GH Lofthouse sick to hospital.

18 June 1916

Quiet day no casualties. 2nd Lt Carlton and 17 other ranks were buried at LINDENHOEK Cemetery, N.27.c. These men were casualties on the 17/06/1916. Six were killed by shellfire, 11 died of gas poisoning. 2 men of the wounded died in hospital and 2 others were buried at LOCRE.

Regards Charles

Charles,

Many thanks - extremely useful. Ties in well with their dead that day being buried at Lidenhoek Chalet Cemetery - I noticed their graves on a recent visit. Only one now buried at Locre.

Thanks again.

Alan

I'm having trouble locating New Cut trench. No luck on the maps on Linesman, and Rat's Alley doesn't list one that is on the right sheet. Don't suppose anyone knows the location of this on the Wyteschaete map?

Many thanks.

Alan

Thanks Charles,

All the 28. N. 34. maps I have access to (Linesman, NM&P) do not show the British lines in detail - only the German ones. So I can't readily locate any E lines. I'll see if I can post it as a separate topic to catch the attention of those with more trench-maps.

I take it from your location you have a particular interest in the 1/4th?

Thanks again.

Alan

I am interested in all the 'East Yorkshire Regiment' Alan, none of my maps for that area have the Trenches on. Best I have is a man KIA N. 34. a. 4. 8

Regards Charles

Thanks anyway Charles, for your help over this thread.

Best wishes

Alan

• 2 months later...

<_< Hello, I am a beginner looking into my great-grandfathers WW1 history:

Cpl William Mates, no. 16923 of the 1st Batt. East Yorks Regt.

He was awarded the MM, I think for the action he died in near Martin-sur-Cojeul 9/4/17, I have visited his grave, very moving experience.

I would love to know what the action was and possibly why he recieved the medal.

Can anyone help.

Thanks