Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling on Royal Berkshire Regt experts.

Guest Guard 1

Guest Guard 1

I am looking for information relating to SJT.W.F.TAYLOR R.BERKS.R.

His service number is 13913 and he served in the 7th (L) battalion. I have infomation showing he was awarded the Serbian gold military decoration of the order of the Kara-Djordje star with swords.

This was for bravery shown on the Salonika front. The date of the award seems to be 16 July 1918.

I have tried a search on the internet but I found nothing. I looked on the War diary on the Berkshires website and found nothing. I also looked on the internet at the London gazette and found nothing.

If anyone could help me to find out more as to why this medal was awarded to this soldier, and is this medal the equivalent to a Military Medal?

Many thanks Rowland.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Rowland,

Just been going through my medal book which includes Foreign Awards but i can't seem to find the one that you have listed? From Serbia the medals that i have listed are as follows:

Order of the White Eagle with Swords - 4th Class

Order of the White Eagle with Swords - 5th Class

Gold medal for Valour

Silver medal for Valour

Gold medal for Zealous Service

Order of St Sava - 2nd Class

Order of St Sava - 3rd Class

Order of St Sava - 4th Class

Order of St Sava - 5th Class

Medaille de la Reine Elizabeth

Could the award be one of these as the one that you have quoted is not listed in my book. Mind i the book may be wrong and has missed out that one. Do you know where your man was from? If its in the Oxfordshire region i maybe able to find something in one of the local papers for you about it.

Regards

Mike

Guest Jeff Floyd

Rowland,

The Soldier's Order of the Star of Karageorge with swords was established in 1915 as an award for personal gallantry on the battle field by NCOs and other ranks. The design is quite similar to the Order of the Star of Karageorge, but the "Soldiers Order" only comes in two classes - gold cross and silver cross. Both grades are unenameled. It was worn on a dark red ribbon.

Rowland

Sgt 13913 William F TAYLOR MM (London Gazette, 14.1.1918, Page 843,) Military Medal warded to Sgt WF TAYLOR of Bromley-by-Bow.

We have not record of any foreign awards to this soldier, that of course doesn't mean he didn't get one, we just have not uncovered any record of it. We do not at this stage have any details of the reason for the award. If you find out can you let us know and we will update our records.

Hope that helps

MAC

(Royal Berkshire Regiment Project group)

Guest Guard 1

Many thanks for your help so far.

What I have for him is two framed award documents. The first is large and is written in Serbian. The second is A4 size and is in English.

I will try tommorow to attach some photos.

Cheers Rowland.

• 10 years later...
Guest Autobahnd

Dear Rowland,

I believe the person you are enquiring about might be my Gandads brother.

Please contact me : email : autobahnd@aol.com

Regards

David Taylor