Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the Duke of Wellington's WW1

Gunner R.A.

I was thinking about buying a book on the above and after a short search came up with the following,

History of the Duke of Wellington's West Riding regiment (the Iron Duke's own) during the first three years of the Great war from August 1914 to December 1917,

i think the book is by John J Fisher.

Does anyone know where i could find a copy, and if this is not possible (out of print/very expensive) could anyone recommend any other books on the Dukes for WW1.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Peter

Fisher is not very good as it consists mainly of newspaper reports from the Halifax Courier although there are many lists of names and some photographs.

There is a history covering the late 1800's to about 1922 but that is not very good either on WW1.

The best WRRegt history is the 1/4th 1914-19 but it only covers the 4th battalion.

Not represented as well as most other Regiments I'm afraid.

P.G. Bales 1920 for the 1/4th DWR, eponymous title I think.

Divorced from my files again, would otherwise give you another 3 refs. I think.

Thanks for the advice regarding the books, it sounds as if the Dukes are not that well represented for their history regarding WW1 which is unfortunate as i have about thirty soldiers from the regiment as a whole to research, such is life!.

Thanks once again,

yours,

Peter.

Peter

Have you any in the 1/4th, or from my area (Cleckhaton, West Yorks) as I have details on most of them.

Charlie

Guest Martin King

Slightly off topic, but I have recently seen the war diary for June/July/August 1915 for the 1/6 Battalion, and the amount of detail given is amazing. Every casualty has name, rank, number, time of incident, place of incident and type of wound. If killed it gives place of burial. At one point it gives the result of a footbal match between officers.

Almost as good as a book!

Regards,

Martin

Why not try History of DWR's (1st & 2nd Bns) 1881-1923 republished by Naval & Military. Had enough info for my man who served 1904-1912 and then returned to Bn 5/8/1914 to 25/10/1914.

Regards

Andy

Fricourt,

Do you have anything on Pte. John Lancelot Doughty, 1/4th DWR of Yarm Co. Durham enlisted Stokesley, KIA 13th August Thiepval Wood area 1916?

Sorry Simon , not on him personally but in July to 19 August the Battalion were working after dark every night extending the trenches at the top of Inniskillin Trench ( in front of Thiepval Wood ) towards the Schwaben Redoubt in preparation for 3 Sept attack. They suffered a lot of casualties during that period.

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

You said you had some info on the 1/4 Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment. Do you think you could look up Pte Albert Franklin No.203461

He was killed on 9th October 1917 Poelcapelle (I think). He was a scout/sniper

Many thanks

MaryF,

I can look him up if he was from Otley, West Yorks., they're the only people we keep records on. If his name appears on the Parish Church war memorial we can give you details as every name on it has been researched. If he survived, then get in touch with the Otley museum and have a look in their name index. Otherwise, can't really help you I'm afraid, but I'll have a look in my files anyway just in case.

• 2 weeks later...