Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cause of Discharge

Guest ljcole

The following notes appear under 'Cause of Discharge' on the Medal Card for my great uncle;

Par 2A

" 392 XVI

AO XI 14.9.18

W. K.R.

The 'W' I assume means wounded and KR refers to Kings Regulations. Is 14.9.18 the date he received the wounds? Can any more information be obtained from these notes? Sadly his service record does not survive so this is all I have.

Thanks

Laurence

Laurence,

The 392 XVI refers to Kings Regulation Paragraph 392 section XVI which states that he was discharged as "medically unfit".

The AO usually refers to Army Order, in this case, with a bit of speculation, "Army Order dated 14 Sept 1918 section XI".

I believe that all this info just refers to the authority which grants the discharge and not the particulars.

Follow Conor's advice for details.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks for your information and advice.

I assume you are refering to the actual roll for the British Army Medal held at the PRO. I am fairly certain that he was wounded because I was told he was a stretcher bearer and was shot in the elbow but continued his work. I believe it was for these actions that he received the Military Medal.

This award was Gazetted on 13/3/18 over six months before he was discharged. I was wondering if he was wounded a second time or spent a long time in hospital.

Next time I am at the PRO I will check the actual rolls themselves. Last time I was there I was advised that there is little more information on them than there is on the cards. It appears I was wrongly advised.

In instances where the records are scarce I take the view that every document should be checked. Even the smallest extra detail can make all the difference.

Laurence

Hi Laurence

I am not 100% sure about this but I think if a man was wounded badly (ie lost a arm) it was left a year before he was discharged. I have details of a man wounded on 14/11/14 and discharged as unfit on 14/11/15, can anyone confirm this or not.

Annette

I do not think there was a strict time limit. I think it depended upon how long it took to become 'fit' enough to be discharged. Frequently, this could take a long time.

It is perfectly possible for a man to lose an arm and to remain in the army for up to 6 months.

The best bet is to consult the rolls and they will give the reason. When I looked on my last visit, there was one chap discharged for dementia.

Rob