Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regt

Hambo

Probably a bit of a long shot but I am looking for a casualty of the East lancs in the Russian campaign

He was Major G.C.De Mattos and he is listed as being with the 9th Battalion but all I have found (I think) is that the 1st Battalion were there

I assume he transferred as some point after November 1918 as he died of wounds on the 11th of August 1919 and is buried at Yakovelskol Churchyard Extension.

Would anyone happen to know about the involvement of the East Lancs in the campaign about the time he would have been wounded or even better some reference to the man himself

Many thanks as always

John

'Bolos and Barishynas' have him down as Captain G. C. (Gerald Comber) de Mattos who died of wounds on 10th August 1919, he was serving with the 45th Bn. Royal Fusiliers, formerly with 9th Bn. E. Lancs.

The action on the 10th August was an Allied offensive up the Dvina river to prepare the way for the Allied evacuation of N. Russia. On the left bank Captain de Mattos, M.C. was in command of No.1 section, Seltso column, whose objectives were Bolshevik positions at Seltso and Nijni Seltso. Captain de Mattos was killed just after the attack went in (this conflicts with another record which says he died of wounds!).

Keith

Keith

Thanks I couldn't trace him beyond the East Lancs so many thanks

John

• 4 years later...
Guest suzannedemattos

I have just discovered this. Gerald de Mattos was my father's cousin and i have all the correspondence pertaining to his death from his commanding officer and also from men who served under him. He did indeed die the following day from his wounds. I just wondered what your

interest was?

• 2 weeks later...

Suzanne,

My Grandfather was in the same battalion as Major de Mattos, I have photos of most of the battalions war diary. If you look in the Salonika sub forum you will find a series of posts I have done about the 9th East Lancs. When I get home tonight I will have a look and see what information I have about the Major.

Here are the entries in the diary that reference Captain de Mattos:

In December 1916 the battalion is in the Krusha Balkan Hills section of the line East of Lake Doiran

21/12/1916 Rejoins from HP

23/12/1916 Assumes command of C company

By the end of January 1917 the battalion is back in the Vardar Dorian sector west of Lake Doiran

24/02/1917 Attached to B99 for instruction in Liaison duties

07/03/1917 Rejoins from B99

07/05/1917 President of the audit board assembled to audit Regtl. A/cs.

05/06/1917 With 2 O.R. leaves Jackson’s Ravine to reconnoitre new enemy work of P.41/2. Patrol was seen by enemy and bombed no casualties.

I haven't studied the diary after June 1917 so not sure precisely where they are.

28/07/1917 President of the audit board assembled to audit R.R.I. accounts.

02/09/1917 Proceeds to Stavros rest camp

I also don't have the dairy after December 1917