Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika, 1917

AKEY

Hi,

My GGGGreat Uncle, William Akester, died in Salonika in 1917. I don't have a clue what happend there or how he got there. Can anyone help?

Cheers,

AKEY

Thanks for that,

My GGGGreat Uncle was William Akester, Army no. 14791, in East Yorks Reg., 56199, in King's Liverpool Reg.

Cheers, AKEY

Akey - I'll move this to 'Other Theatres' where your query may attract better viewing figures.

He was probably in the 2nd Battalion East Yorkshire as this was part of the 28th Division which sailed from Marseilles, via Egypt to Salonika on 26th October 1915.

For the Kings Liverpool Regiment he could have been in the 14th (Service) Battalion (Salonika Nov 1915 - Jul 1918). The other battalion dates don't match.

Andrew

Hi Akey,

William was indeed in the East Yorkshire Regiment joining on the 06/11/1914, I cannot find his medal index card to see when he went overseas, but it looks like a draft to the 2nd Battalion and I have a record of him being wounded in the Regimental Journal September 1916. The first casualties in Salonika from the 2nd Bn happened in Aug 1916, he joined the Liverpool Regt with a Group of men from the East Yorkshire regiment. Sorry no more help.

Regards Charles

You may want to seek out a copy of "Under The Devil's Eye" by Wakefield and Moody - a modern account of the Campaign from the British Perspective. It's out of print but any good library should be able to trace a copy.

There is also the Salonika Campaign Society (see http://www.salonika.talktalk.net/)