Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scimitar Hill (Hill 70)

johnshep

As reported by Krithia, another forum member a few months ago, there was a scrub fire last autumn affecting an area NE of Scimitar Hill (Hill 70) and Abrikja which exposed trenches and shell craters previously obscured by the undergrowth.

I visited the Suvla area with several family members last week and with the benefit of directions from Eric Goosens at the Gallipoli Houses Hotel (incidentally a first rate place to stay in all respects) we found a track leading from the N of Scimitar Hill into the burnt area. This track is shown (rather inaccurately) on some contemporary maps. The fire has cleared the ground with the result that the area is now covered with wild flowers and is worthy of a visit for that alone.

In following the track, we struck upon a feature mentioned in several war diaries which I was hoping to find – the knoll at 105 D8 on the 1:20,000 map. This will probably be familiar to those with an interest in 87th Brigade and in particular to 1st Bn Border Regiment and 2nd Bn South Wales Borderers. I hope this may also be useful to those with a wider interest in the events of 21 August, 1915. The image below with family member on the summit to indicate scale is the knoll in question.

post-33489-1242133557.jpg

The war diaries of 1 Bn Border Regt indicate that this was the objective of A and C Companies and it was probably not far from here that the unfortunate Lt Clague was left stranded until 06.00 on 22 August with 23 men from Borders and up to 50 men of mixed units when not informed of the order to retire.

Fire from this knoll was a major factor in stalling the attack on the left of Scimitar Hill. The war diaries are not specific about whether the very heavy fire from the knoll was from machine guns though machine gun fire 'from the left' is mentioned in the records of The Queens Own Dorset Yeomanry. I have it as a possible position of one or more of the 6 machine guns deployed by the Turkish 12 Division at 2nd Anafartalar (see recent posting on this topic below).

The scrub fire has revealed a system of trenches around the knoll, some details of which are also shown on the 1:5,000 Sevki Pasha map. The trenches are partially re-filled by erosion and unfortunately my pictures of them do not pick up the detail very well. Amongst debris on the ground were fired Turkish small arms casings, one or two fragments of barbed wire (2 strands with barbs 100mm apart), and a handle possibly from an ammunition box.

I have further pictures if anyone is interested including the view back from the knoll to Scimitar Hill. As file sizes are quite large, could you PM me with email addresses if you would like me to send them to you.

John

PS Cut and paste from Word seems to have thrown up one or two wobblies in the text preview. Hope its all legible when posted.

Yes ,very much so ,as I am currently reading John Massefield "Gallipoli",would like to see the photos.

You may make an account at Photobucket.com ,upload the pics there and then on this window at insert image as you add the reply , you copy the address from photobucket.com and give paste,here.

Or upload them here ,but as you save the pics,before uploading them, they must not exceed 100k,make them say 50k jpeg.If they ,however are 100k or more, jpeg they would not upload.

Or send them to me and I'll sorted out.

Thank you.

Andrei

Nice to see interest in that area. Not many people end up visiting the Suvla area. More pics please

Len

Many thanks to Andrei and Len for their interest.

I have to say that at this time of year, the Suvla landscape gives out a sense of tranquility that is hard to reconcile with the slaughter that took place there in 1915. It is a hauntingly beautiful place and the only sound you hear that breaks the silence is birdsong. The peace and stillness takes you by surprise.

I am uploading another image:

post-33489-1242676614.jpg

This is one which may be familiar as I am sure I have seen it on these pages before. It is of Scimitar Hill from the top of Green Hill Cemetery. Scimitar Hill is the rise in the forground at 10 0'clock to the bend in the track. The village to the rear is Kucuk Anafarta (Anafarta Sagir) and to the best of my knowledge it is Tekke Tepe in the background. So this shot shows the line of advance of 87 Div and the Yeomanry.

Units involved in the attack on 21 August took shelter in what is described as a rocky nullah (i.e. gully) somewhat above the 60 metre contour and pointing towards the Turkish communication trench on the summit. This nullah is marked on sketches attached to war diaries and correspondence. I looked for it during my visit and I am still not convinced of its whereabouts, but subsequent ploughing may have levelled up the contours. I suspect that it may have been the scimitar shaped scar on the hill depicted in naval sketches after which the feature was named. One version of the 1:20,000 map shows contours forming a small gully just east of Torgut Chesme (which no longer exists). Could this be it? Does anyone have any suggestions or observations?

I hope this is of interest

John

Here is another image taken from the top of the knoll at 105 D8 looking across to the rear of Scimitar Hill. You can see the backs of the 3 memorials on the summit. There was intense machine gun fire from this knoll which impeded the advance of mixed units on the hill and would seem to indicate that the left of the attack had gone north of Scimitar before bearing right handed on it whilst the centre came in from the west. Intervisibility studies based on the 1:5,000 maps indicate that direct fire from this knoll would not have been possible against advance on Scimitar Hill from the west; only from a more northerly direction. This was confirmed by my own observations.

post-33489-1242677713.jpg

John

Many thanks for posting these photographs of Scimitar Hill, the 6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers were heading to Scimitar on 10 August 1915 and experienced heavy casualties.

Moriaty

• 7 years later...
Guest Nic F (née Jones)

My relative Cephas Jones was KIA on 25 Aug 1915. I only have one photo, but anyone else who has info on him it would be great to know.  He was with The Kings Own Lancaster Regiment.  Body never recovered. His name is on a memorial there, those details I do have. Cheers. 

15 hours ago, Nic F (née Jones) said:

My relative Cephas Jones was KIA on 25 Aug 1916. I only have one photo, but anyone else who has info on him it would be great to know.  He was with The Kings Own Lancaster Regiment.  Body never recovered. His name is on a memorial there, those details I do have. Cheers. 

Nic,

Private Cephas Jones died on 25th August 1915 and on that date his battalion were not at Scimitar Hill, Suvla, but further down the peninsula at ANZAC. The map and crop below are from an NZ history, nevertheless however, they will give you some idea of the location.
On the 20th August 1915 the battalion relieved the Hampshires in the firing line at the upper end of Damakjelik Bair and when they were relieved by the Bedfordshires on the 29th they were near the enemy's line at Sandbag Ridge – both of these features can be clearly seen on the crop.
[details from Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli']

71c0b60a-910e-4ea7-ad51-b466bb9ec100_zps
5cb4c809-22d9-4c92-8a38-409d0779815d_zps

Looking at where the 10th Hants were when they were relieved on the 20th, gives us a slightly more precise idea of the area where The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) were at this time 

1843d976-37d4-4741-8e3c-30c47f8b738d_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nic,

I see that you have corrected the date of death in your post, so I hope that you found the rest of the information useful too

All the best

Michael

• 5 years later...

Hi Mark.I am a relative of Private Cephas Jones.I posted a photo of Cephas on "Lives of the first world war" memorial Page.                          I am interested in any other  information you have of Cephas.  Cheers,Phil.

• 2 months later...
On 24/04/2022 at 14:09, Phil Jones said:

Hi Mark.I am a relative of Private Cephas Jones.I posted a photo of Cephas on "Lives of the first world war" memorial Page.                          I am interested in any other  information you have of Cephas.  Cheers,Phil.

Good afternoon Phil,

Send me your email-adress and i can send you picture 's and information about Private Cephas Jones.

Email address removed by moderator 

• Admin

@johnshep hasn’t been on the forum for a while, my tag might alert him. I’ve also removed your email address from your post, not a good idea to put personal details on a public forum, you can send a private message. 

Scimitar Hill was Royal Irish Fusiliers, 5th and 6th Bns. 

18 hours ago, KGB said:

Scimitar Hill was Royal Irish Fusiliers, 5th and 6th Bns. 

Did you know that about 51 regiments were granted the battle honour 'Scimitar Hill'?

• 2 weeks later...

No but I do know that my Grandfather was there. 

• 1 month later...

5th, 6th, 7th Battalions Royal Welsh Fusiliers terriers were there as well as 50 other regiments. It was one F* of an event! My great aunt lost her husband there with the 6th and never remarried. So share the battle honours!