Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

--

dsquared

Hi I'm no expert and hope to be corrected if what I write is duff.

Robert R Holman 56713 1st DAC (Divisional Ammunition Column Or Division Artillery Column) RFA

14 Star-- he Qualified for this as a Driver and he must have been in France or Belgium under fire before November 23rd 1914.

He was in the qualifying area from 16/8/1914

Victory and British medal-- looks like he qualified as a corporal

his MM looks to be the same.

His silver war badge number appears to be B/276037

He was discharged 30/3/1919 under Kings regulations 392 xvi - (xvi) No longer physically fit for war service.

hope this helps a little

Mel

Just to get you started then, he was a pre-war regular initially serving with the 1st Divisional Ammunition Column and he deployed to France on 16th August, 1914, so one of the earlier blokes to go over. In addition to the MM he was awarded the 14 Star and clasp, War and Victory medals.

T M By is an abreviation for Trench Mortar battery and as you know, he finished the war as a corporal. Thats about all I can decifer from that but others will be able to put that in the shade I should think!

NB: The anotations on the reverse appear to be later additions dated probably in 14th October 1986,when the card was accessed by the AMO & collated from other Index cards etc;{ie:~ MM Card & SWB Roll page}to answer an enquiry {as it appears to be written in Ball point pen!}possibly by yourself or someone else who was seeking information direct from the Medal Office??