Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Friday 8th May.

Gnr George Cranston BAIRD

74631 Royal Garrison Artillery

Died 23.08.18 Age 42

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Gnr George DUNCAN

655782 Royal Field Artillery

Died 19.08.20 Age 22

Major Gordon Evans GILL

Royal Engineers

Died 12.03.19 Age 28

Pte John Thomas JACKLIN

77195 Royal Army Medical Corps

Died 09.10.19

Lt-Col Alexander Bertram LINDSAY

2nd King Edward’s Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles)

Died 16.09.14 Age 41

Gnr Fred MARSHALL

251297 Royal Field Artillery

Died 10.12.17 Age 32

Pte James NESBITT

148179 Labour Corps

Died 20.08.17 Age 29

Pte Frederick ONLEY

276204 6th Bn, Essex Regiment

Died 04.01.17

NOT FORGOTTEN

The following were cases from the ‘In From The Cold Project’

Major Gill died of influenza and pneumonia in Wembley.

(Volunteer – Kevin O’Neill)

Pte Jacklin died of heatstroke aboard HMT Brandenburg in the Red Sea.

(Volunteer – Steve Morse)

Gnr Marshall died of appendicitis and peritonitis in Scotton Military Hospital.

(Volunteer – Peter Woodger)

Pte Nesbitt died of ‘general paralysis of the insane’ in Winwick.

Pte Onley died of gunshot wounds to the head and foot in Bristol.

Gnr Baird was put forward on 18.03.09 on behalf of member, Jim Grant.

Gnr Duncan was put forward on 24.03.09 on behalf of member, Jim Grant.

Lt-Col Lindsay was put forward on 14.03.09 on behalf of member, Chris Harley.

Nice one guy's

Rest in peace, gone and no longer forgotten.

Cheers Andy.

Although very small scale I submitted Serjeant James A Teale, 14th Hussars, for commemoration last year and I am glad to say he was accepted also. He will be commemorated on the Basra Memorial in due course.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...sualty=75227857

How moving to see Pte. Frederick Onley has now been

accepted from Wellingborough.

Not sure why he has not been given a CWG headstone

though in Wellingborough Cemetery.

Grateful thanks to all who made it happen.

Never to be forgotten.

Sandy

21091914-1.png

The Times 21st Sep 1914

19091914-1.png

The Times 19th Sep 1914

Colonel Lindsay had been appointed as GSO 2 at the War Office June 1913. The cause of his death was heart disease.

May They Rest In Peace

Name: DUNCAN, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 19/08/1920

Service No: 655782

Additional information: Son of Mrs Jane Duncan, of Springholm, Dalbeatie.

N.B.: This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

George Duncan enlisted into the 2nd Kirkcubrightshire Battery 2/2 Lowland Field Artillery Brigade (T.F.) at Kirkcudbright on 4th June 1915 and was given the number 4440. He stated he was born at Urr, Kircudbrighshire. His NOK is his mother Jane Duncan, Wholehouse, Springholm, Dalbeatie. He later states he was a farm servant at Barstibly, Castle Douglas on enlisting.

He is re-numbered 655782 in 1917 and it appears he went to France in Dec that year.

His records show he was admitted to the 1st Australian General Hospital at Rouen on 19 April 1918 with Pulmonary TB ( mild). He was returned to the UK and is recorded as " sick " in Grove Military Hospital, Tooting on 22nd April 1918. His Medical Discharge process began on 1st May.

George was discharged " physically unfit " for further service under Kings Regulations on 4th July 1918 with a weekly pension of 27/6d. The reason given as Tubercule of lung due to a/s ( Active Service) ie. TB.

On discharge he is in 158th Battary RFA and states he will reside at Woodside, Barnbarrock, Dalbeatie

The cause of his death at Dumfries Infirmary on 19th August 1920 aged 22 is given as Tuberculosis of Lung. Tubercular Peritonitis and Tubercular Kidney.

His usual Residences is given as Woodside, Colvend. ( I suspect Woodside, Colvend and Woodside, Barnbarrock, Dalbeatie may be the same place)

His parents are given as Jane Duncan ( mother) only. Checking births in Kircudbrightshire 1896-1899 gives only one George Duncan ( a twin), he was born at Springholm, Urr, illeg to Jane Duncan, Dairymaid on 10th Dec 1897.

Gnr. 665782 George Duncan, 150th Bde R.F.A.

MISSING NO MORE

Name: BAIRD, GEORGE CRANSTON

Initials: G C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Date of Death: 23/08/1918

Service No: 74631

Additional information: Brother of John Baird of Cambuslang.

N.B.: This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

George Baird was born at Crookedstone, Crawford, Lanarkshire on 2nd Feb 1876 the son David and Williamina Baird. His father was a shepherd.

It appears he later took Cranston as a middle name.

George Baird was Draper residing in Glasgow, possibly with his brother John at Mansefield Ave, Cambuslang who was given as his NOK, when he signed up on 1st Dec 1915 into the Royal Artillery and was mobilised in April 1916 to Great Yarmouth. He was sent to Mesapotamia in Sept 1916 where the origin of his illness began with dysentery in March 1917.

He was transferred to the R.A. Depot, Jubbalpore, India in December and admitted to Cumballa Hospital Dec 22 1917 where he was diagnosed as suffering from TB. He was invalided back to England via Maitland , South Africa in January 1918 arriving back in England on 10th May.

George attended a Medical Board on 17th July 1918 at Bermondsey Military Hospital where is was accepted his condition was “ attributable to active service during the present war “.

He was discharged " unfit for further military service on 9th August 1918.

He travelled to Cambuslang and died two weeks later at 8 Mansefield Avenue, Cambuslang, the home of his brother John on 23rd August aged 42.

His total service with the Colours was 2 years, 250 days.

Gnr. 74631 George Cranston Baird, R.G.A.

MISSING NO MORE

Raising a glass to the memory of George Baird, George Duncan, Gordon, John, Alexander, Fred, James & Frederick. Raising another to the efforts of Kev, Steve, Peter, Jim & Chris.

James Nesbitt's cause of death is an interesting one. Has anyone got a 'modern' diagnosis for what was termed 'general paraylsis of the insane'

Also interested as to why John Jacklin is to be commemorated on the Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial. If he died whilst aboard ship in the Red Sea, wouldn't a memorial in Africa or on the Arabian peninsula be more appropriate?

Will

Brookwood (UK 14-18) is increasingly being used for men who died overseas where the exact location is not known or no appropriate memorial is available. It is also being used when army men died at sea in circumstances that would not warrant addition to one of the larger memorials that bear such died-at-sea names (eg Helles).

Also, several of the smaller memorials are regarded as 'closed' where no new additions are possible for various reasons.

Hi All

Terry could you explain something for me please, if possible, or the person who put

Pte.Frederick Onley name forward.

I have him dying on 4.1.1918 from his gravestone yet it says 1917 on the CWGC.

Is the same person I asked about quite a while ago from Wellingborough, Northants.

T.I.A.

Sandy

Glad to hear it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone else has already put his name forward in the last week,

they are not on this forum.

I have now been in touch with them again tonight.

Thanks for P.M.

Sandy

Will

Brookwood (UK 14-18) is increasingly being used for men who died overseas where the exact location is not known or no appropriate memorial is available. It is also being used when army men died at sea in circumstances that would not warrant addition to one of the larger memorials that bear such died-at-sea names (eg Helles).

Also, several of the smaller memorials are regarded as 'closed' where no new additions are possible for various reasons.

Terry

Thanks for the clarification.

Fascinating, well done to all involved.

Guest KevinEndon
Sandy

If you let me have the burial location, we can get Onley's commemoration moved.

CWGC now have the details of his grave, they have been in touch with the council offices at Wellingborough via email this morning,

Kevin

CWGC now have the details of his grave, they have been in touch with the council offices at Wellingborough via email this morning,

I am glad about that because Jayne (Wellingborough) has been in touch with me about

Frederick since last summer as I asked about him because of my War Project.

She is also delighted that he is now on the CWGC. Now for a headstone.

Apparently the person who put his name forward is from the Essex Branch of the WF.

I dropped out as soon as I heard the person had put him forward last week.

Also Terry you asked everyone to stand down when I enquired about him last year.

I obviously did on the forum, but not personally.

Sandy

The timeline on this one is that Onley was discovered to be missing by Kevin O'Neill last year during his IFCP searches of SDGW and was put forward by the In From the Cold Project on 03.04.09 after obtaining his death certificate as evidence as part of a large 'UK deaths' batch. I was notified that our submission had been accepted by MoD on 23.04.09 and he was entered in the Debt of Honour on 08.05.09 as noted above.

Now he has his grave identified, it will be inspected in due course by CWGC to see if there is a private memorial in place. If there is none or it is in an unacceptable condition, they will seek permission to erect an official stone.

Sandy has been on the case throughout and it is a good job done by all.

Terry would you like me to put a picture of Frederick's stone here.

Sorry for a minute I couldn't find a full image of it.

It is the one in front of the CWG stone.

Sandy

post-36640-1242072833.jpg

Guest KevinEndon

It may be the photo but don't the 2 graves look mighty close to each other, I wonder why this is,

Kevin

It must be how it is being viewed.

In the Cemetery itself both are on different rows.

Sandy

Here is another view of part of the Cemetery.

There is hardly enough room to put your feet between the rows.

Just had an e-mail from Jayne who said the CWGC phoned her yesterday.

Sandy