Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8032 Pte James Jones 2nd South Staffs Regt

Guest Humpy

A recent visit to my Mother provided me with information I just can't get out of my head. She presented me with a biscuit tin containing the service details of my Grandfather Regimental Number, Red book end of service. 1914-1918 campaign medals and a number of photographs. So I have his regimental number,his Regiment and a superb photograph of him in best dress. Now I need to know more. Is my next step the National Archive or is there a Regimental Museum. Where is this Regiment now in the sceme of things. He enlisted in July 1907 and was discharged in May 1914, soon to be called up again I believe as his campaign medals prove. But what he did or where he was is a mystery. so my question, Where Next

Humpy

Welcome to the forum,look at the top of the page in bold it will give you an idea what to do next.

Also go here on the long long trail it will give you some information on the South Staffs http://www.1914-1918.net/sstaffs.htm

After doing this come back to the forum ,there are a few of us who are interested in the South Staffs Regt who will try and help along with others on the forum.

Go here for information on South Staffs museum (I have added this after Chris's post Below)

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/showP...m?Place_ID=2234

Regards Doug

The South Staffordshire Regiment was merged with the North Staffs to become the Prince of Wales's Staffordshire Regiment in 1959. This regiment still exists. For example it took part in the first Gulf war. There is a very good regimental museum, at Whittington Barracks, between Lichfield and Tamworth.

suggestion is her signed on for "7 and 5" and had just started his 5 years on the Reserve when war broke out. I also suggest he was not serving overseas in his seventh year, or he would have been required to do another year "for the King" as many were.

Humpy

I would like to see a picture of your Grandfather when you get a chance. Where did you grandad live,Walsall/Wolverhampton?

Regards Doug

Gentlemen I am overwhelmed by your response.Thank you for your time. I can tell you that he served in Africa with the Regiment 09-11 ( Soldieirs Small Book) I also have discharge papers for him in 1919. There are a few photos with other members of the Regiment in Africa and during the War I will try to publish these for you to see. I will visit the Museum as I live in Leicestershire. My Grandfather was born and bred in Tipton West Mids as was my father mother, grandmother, my brother, sister and me. Black Country through and through. I have served my time 22 years in the Royal Military Police I had an uncle in the R.A. another in the IV Queens Husars and another in the Navy. Thanks again for your time, watch this space.

Humpy

Thanks for your reply,look forward to photo's. Good to have another Blackcountry lad on board,the gang is getting bigger :D

Regards Doug