Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some cap badges to play with

J T Gray

From a collection, the rest of which will be posted when I've finished scanning and organising them. However, I felt that this one was an ideal one to start ID-ing cap badges with. I armed myself with Iain Swinnerton's book and... can only get one!

The one on the right appears to be have a castle in the centre. There's definitely a wreath of some sort, and I think the uneven bottom is a curled scroll. I don't think it's a crown at the top as it's lop-sided, so I reckon a sphinx. Given all that lot, I reckon it's the Essex Regiment.

The other two, however, have me stumped. I'd have thought the "corn dolly" shape in the wreath, and the badge with what seems to be a five-pointed coronet on top, would jump off the ages, but they don't.

Does anyone recognise them? Sadly, unlike my other pic (O L Jones, in Soldiers) I have nothing to tie the badges to a man.

Hoping someone can help, thank you.

Adrian

post-3528-1241463017.jpg

From a collection, the rest of which will be posted when I've finished scanning and organising them. However, I felt that this one was an ideal one to start ID-ing cap badges with. I armed myself with Iain Swinnerton's book and... can only get one!

The one on the right appears to be have a castle in the centre. There's definitely a wreath of some sort, and I think the uneven bottom is a curled scroll. I don't think it's a crown at the top as it's lop-sided, so I reckon a sphinx. Given all that lot, I reckon it's the Essex Regiment.

The other two, however, have me stumped. I'd have thought the "corn dolly" shape in the wreath, and the badge with what seems to be a five-pointed coronet on top, would jump off the ages, but they don't.

Does anyone recognise them? Sadly, unlike my other pic (O L Jones, in Soldiers) I have nothing to tie the badges to a man.

Hoping someone can help, thank you.

Adrian

Hi

Top R Irish Fusiliers, bottom left Middlesex Regt and bottom right King's Own Scottish borders.

regards

Arthur

I'd be a fool to disagree; odd to see the KOSB badge on a cap.

I'd be a fool to disagree; odd to see the KOSB badge on a cap.

Hi Steven,

I thought that it was odd also to see it being worn on a cap.

Regards

Arthur

I've seen Scottish badges worn thus in hospital uniform before - probably something to do with hospital issue, i.e. not having a supply of TOS or glengarries at hand. Easier to dole out (and retain supplies of) SD caps.

Thank you, gentlemen! I'll agree with you on the KOSB - with hindsight it's rather bulky for an Essex Regt badge and, with the eye of faith, I can make out one corner of the saltire.

A little more spotting training would be useful with the other two. Do you have any "known" illustrations of men from the RIF and the Middlesex wearing their badges to compare them by? Going by Swinnerton's illustrations, I can see there's a good likeness but it would be nice to see other examples for future reference, as it were. I missed the RIF utterly as I was looking at cap badges - he shows one under collar badges - and his illustration of the Middlesex badge shows the scroll rather higher, hence why I didn't spot it straight away. Some more examples would be good practice!

Adrian

I also have my doubts about the bottom right being KOSB- the 'turrets' on the castle don't seem to be the same as what can be seen on a KOSB badge.

The middle turret is higher than the outside 2 whereas the ones on the photo above are higher on the outside!

I'd put a week's wages on it being KOSB.

I would put a months wages on it.

Attached a photo of the Liverpool Scottish glengarry badge being worn on a SD cap

P.B.

post-63-1241517195.jpg

Got to be KOSB; it's got a bit of tartan behind it. The cap is the Winter Service Dress cap, or "Corblimey". This is the first picture I've ever seen of a Scottish soldier wearing an SD cap of any kind. Interestingly, a friend had a WSD cap come in with a Black Watch SD jacket and some other effects to an Aubers Ridge casualty, the whole lot looking as if it had always been together, so perhaps it was acceptable for Scottish units to wear the "Corblimey".

No, for other seasons the ordinary SD cap as in Joe's photo was used, plus its soft versions. The winter cap was abolished around the time that steel helmets became compulsory at the front, the idea presumably being that if you weren't wearing your cap in the trenches you wouldn't need a warm one for anywhere else.

Thanks for all the extra information. There's lots more to come, but I really want to get all the photos scanned first (and do a thousand and one other things - where do people find time for "real life"?), so they'll be while yet. Of course, if anyone has a particular interest in Shepreth Auxiliary Hospital...

Adrian

Having seen posts 8 and 9, wouldn't it be utterly splendid to find a really obscure local unit or colonial mounted rifles outfit ...

Having seen posts 8 and 9, wouldn't it be utterly splendid to find a really obscure local unit or colonial mounted rifles outfit ...

I guess it's the sort of place where you might have run into Almeric Paget's Massage Corps...

Adrian

Photos like this turn-up fairly regularly.

Here is Cameronian (SR) in SD cap.

... wearing his SD cap at a jaunty tilt, as if it was the glengarry!

:D

Cheers,

Mark

I guess it's the sort of place where you might have run into Almeric Paget's Massage Corps...

Adrian

An Almeric Paget's Massage Corps masseuse gives Tommy treatment to a wounded arm ...

post-20192-1242643952.jpg

[source: Daily Sketch 5 Dec 1914]

Cheers,

Mark