Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Guest stewartsear

Stewart,

Do I assume from your reply none of your Grandmother's photographs show your Uncle in a Royal Scots Uniform as posted by Tim?

Tim.I like the last photo but think your knees are a bit white and boots too clean.What about a bit of mud next time for authenticity?

George

Hi George,

I can promise you that my boots were definitely not clean as I had just compleed an 18 mile sponsored march to get to that particular event!!! :D As for the knees... what can I say!!! :D

All the best,

Tim

Guest stewartsear

I was looking through them last night, and i didn't find any pictures of anyone in a Royal Scots uniform. It's turning into a bit of a mystery!

Stew

Stew,

If it's of any comfort I know what you are going through.

I inherited an old wooden Cadbury's Chocolate Box from a maiden Aunt full of photographs of soldiers in WW1.Some I can identify as they are postcards sent from pre-War Annual Camps and I can identify my Uncles but many are anonymous and presumably were boyfriends.Although the photographs must have meant a lot to my Aunt she did not have the foresight to write the soldiers namesRegiments on the reverse.

George

Guest stewartsear

that's what's so stranger about this picture, is that my nans uncle has actually written on it and addressed it to his sister. unless of course, it wasn't her borther Edwar but someone else? although his name was Edward george, and the names Edward & George have both been written on the back.

confusing.

Stewart

The man in question appears to have the wheatsheaf cap badge of the Lothian and Borders Horse Yeomanry. 2nd L&B was broken up and most became companies of the 17th Royal Scots in 1917. I will investigate further.

Aye

Malcolm

Right. 1/1st Lothian and Borders Horse consisted RHQ, A,B,C,D Squadrons. In early 1917 they were based at Haddington when RHQ and B & C Squadron were returned to depot for infantry training. RHQ and B were sent as reinforcements to make up the 17th Royal Scots ( my Grt Uncle among them). I do not know what happened to C Squadron except some went to the MGC but the depot where they were trained was Glencorse which was the Royal Scots base. I presume the remaining men were sent as reinforcements to the other Royal Scot Battalions.

A & D Squadron complete were sent to Salonika where they eventually became Corps cavalry.

It is therefore possible he was in C Squadron 1/1st L&BH and was sent to the Dandy Ninth as a reinforcement.

However there is a very small confusion, 2/1st L&B Horse became the 9th Cyclist Battalion attached to 65th Division in Ireland but it was never in F&F.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest stewartsear

success! found a pic of my great uncle wearing what appears to be a Royal Scots uniform.

for anyone that's interested:

post-2-1083241676.jpg

Edited by stewartsear

Stewart,

I am sure Tim will give the definitive answer based on the Uniform but it looks fine to me.

I know it is nice to be able to put a face to a name.

Best wishes

George

Hi Stewart,

That is without doubt a 9th Royal Scot uniform, so I would be pretty confident that this is your man.

All the best,

Tim

• 3 months later...
Guest Daniel78

Can anyone here give an insight as to what life was like during the training at Glencorse? My great grandfather Albert Taylor was a physical instructor for the Royal Scots. I also beleive he was the regimental boxing champion, however I'm not sure for which regiment as he was a career solder before the war (his father enlisted him at 14!!) and based at Aldershot. Originally he was from Islington but lived the rest of his life in Penicuik just down the road from Glencorse.

Stewart, I've looked at your close up and believe the man to be a trooper of the Lothian & Border Horse from the shape of the badge and chainmail on the shoulder strap. I hope this might help.

John Holmes.

That fellow on the horse has a sword which does not look to me like a cavalry sword. If it`s an infantry sword, then the horse is presumably an officer`s charger. The man doesn`t look to be an officer. I`m wondering if he could be a batman/servant/groom sitting on his officer`s horse? Grenadiers capbadge? Phil B

We seem to be going round in circles here.

Malcolm's post of the 10th April above seems to clarify that Stewart's Uncle was in the Lothian and Border Horse before being transferred to the 9th Royal Scots.

Daniel78 asks about pre-War physical training for Members of the Regular Battalions.Sorry Daniel cannot directly answer your question but I am sure if you read the many threads throughout the Forum about recruitment/training,etc you will gain a fair idea of your Great Grandfather's duties as I cannot see pre and War training methods changing much except for the speed of the training.Many books written by Veterans and Others also give an insight into the process.The Royal Scots Museum in Edinburgh Castle may have some archive material about Glencorse but Malcolm may have more information on this point.

George

• 1 year later...
Guest Edinburgh Dandy 9th
Hi Stewart,

That is without doubt a 9th Royal Scot uniform, so I would be pretty confident that this is your man.

All the best,

Tim

Hello All

My first post.

I am trying to find exactly where the Dandy 9th Royal Scots were during the Great War. Is there a simple official diary chronology and geography = E.G. " July 1915 Ypres , Armentiers etc.." dates and movements?

My father joined the Dandy 9th. I think in 1915 when he was 19.

I think the official age of joining in 1914 - 1915 was 19 although it is said many joined up at a younger age?

I have photos of him and some pals - but cannot find how to scan and then save and send ( I have ENORMOUS (!!) difficulty working these computer things!)

My father survived and was demobbed in 1919 I think. He joined as a private soldier and ended the war as lieutenent. I think he had something to do with mules - horses? in later stages?)

He wrote and had published a letter home in the local press (Fife or Edinburgh) describing arrival 1915 journey to France.

I don't know if he was at The Somme - Some say Dandy 9th there.

But I do not think his unit/group ( what called?) was there . . His diaries are incomplete = just initial scraps of info 1915. I find nothing for 1916.

I do not know if Dandy 9th at The Somme.

Some post cards home survive - with blue pencil censoring.

My father died in 1956 age 60 so I do not know much from him at all. I was 13 when he died. At that age I knew something of the Great War - but the Second World War was more in our schoolboy minds..etc.. My father never said anything about the Great War - that I recall - except that his kilt cut the back of his legs marching in rain. I suppose that was the least of his "discomforts"?

If I could work out how to send photos I would ..

Thanks for help and advice

There's some information on another part of this website:

Royal Scots

This tells you which division the battalion was in. You can then click on the division name (in blue), which takes you to a page describing that division's war career, although this won't tell you exactly where each battalion was.

In the 1920s, Major John Ewing wrote a book called The Royal Scots 1914-1919, which the Naval & Military Press reprinted it a few years ago. It costs £32 but if you're in the Edinburgh area then I know that the Central Lending Library on George IV Bridge has it.

Hello All

My first post.

I am trying to find exactly where the Dandy 9th Royal Scots were during the Great War. Is there a simple official diary chronology and geography = E.G. " July 1915 Ypres , Armentiers etc.." dates and movements?

My father joined the Dandy 9th. I think in 1915 when he was 19.

I think the official age of joining in 1914 - 1915 was 19 although it is said many joined up at a younger age?

I have photos of him and some pals - but cannot find how to scan and then save and send ( I have ENORMOUS (!!) difficulty working these computer things!)

My father survived and was demobbed in 1919 I think. He joined as a private soldier and ended the war as lieutenent. I think he had something to do with mules - horses? in later stages?)

He wrote and had published a letter home in the local press (Fife or Edinburgh) describing arrival 1915 journey to France.

I don't know if he was at The Somme - Some say Dandy 9th there.

But I do not think his unit/group ( what called?) was there . . His diaries are incomplete = just initial scraps of info 1915. I find nothing for 1916.

I do not know if Dandy 9th at The Somme.

Some post cards home survive - with blue pencil censoring.

My father died in 1956 age 60 so I do not know much from him at all. I was 13 when he died. At that age I knew something of the Great War - but the Second World War was more in our schoolboy minds..etc.. My father never said anything about the Great War - that I recall - except that his kilt cut the back of his legs marching in rain. I suppose that was the least of his "discomforts"?

If I could work out how to send photos I would ..

Thanks for help and advice

9th,

Can't fully answer your question but this may assist.

If you look on the Long,Long Trail entry about the 9th Royal Scots you will see they were part of the 51st Highland Division between 1916 and 1918.

My Uncle served in the 8th Royal Scots which you will see were part of the same Division.

The 8th Royal Scots engagements

1916-Somme(July/August)

Beaumont Hamel

1917-Battle of Arras,9th April to 31st May

Ypres(Pilchem Ridge),31st July 1917.

Ypres(Steenbeck),August 1917.

Ypres(Menin Road,20th September.

First Battle of Cambrai.

George