Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEST SOLDIERS NAME EVER

ralphjd

Hmmm.

Sgt.Hugh Cairns.V.C.

As his name implies,he had some stones on him.

Took a moment or two but............ :D

Took a moment or two but............ :D

Yeah.Sorry for that but,I'm the only visitor to his resting place on an almost daily basis(him being in our ville while I stay in France)

He is my hero :wub: but,the 'stones' come from his story at Vimy & Vallenciennes.Mad kid,he did stuff that a whole Bttn.would find hard to do.All for the sake of his brother.

Never,ever forgotten :)

How about Major General Waldron? He was a pre-war Regular in the Worcestershire Regiment. He survived the war but never rose above the rank of PRIVATE ! His Medal Index Card is on Ancestry, his number is 10991. He must have had some merciless ribbing. I can imagine the RSM having fun with him on the parade ground.

Regards Mike Jones

In my Fremantle lads I have a family by the surname of Caesar. One of them carried the name Julius Augustus Caesar. He served in the Imperial Camel Corps & 14th Light Horse Regiment

Yeah.Sorry for that but,I'm the only visitor to his resting place on an almost daily basis(him being in our ville while I stay in France)

He is my hero :wub: but,the 'stones' come from his story at Vimy & Vallenciennes.Mad kid,he did stuff that a whole Bttn.would find hard to do.All for the sake of his brother.

Never,ever forgotten :)

Ye gods man, what a bloke! Just read the citation.

John

There were six "Dedman" killed in the AIF during WW1.

Len

One of my local men,

Urban Eclipse Carpenter Private 11253 Royal Hampshire Regt. Died 4th January 1917.

A bit tenuous but related to WW1 - how about our own "Thomas Tulloch-Marshall" :rolleyes:

Surely it must be:~

Private.....

and dont call me Shirley!! ;)

Here's a couple for the pot..............Arthur Shell, a Gunner in the Royal Marine Artillery & Alfred Vickers of the MGC.

There was a Private P. Nutt, he was in The Buffs (East Kent Regiment).

Regards

There was a Donald Duck in the Hampshire Regiment !! :)

MICs exist for;

7 x Edward Bear

6 x Lawrence Lamb

9 x Gordon Bennett

1 x Clarence Lyon

Cheers,

Nigel

And then there is this chap - take a deep breath;

Léone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudati-filius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache.

A Captain in the Liecestershire Regiment, he died on 20/02/1917 and is buried in Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension

He was once in the Guinness Book of Records for having the longest name, but I don't think they go for that kind of thing now.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nice finds,Nige :lol:

Not a name but a headstone inscription that really is missing that vital comma.

"HE DIED TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM HIS LOVING WIFE"

Poor bloke.He's in our cemetery here & I pay my respects often,but....one little comma would have made all the diference.

Dave.

Léone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudati-filius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache.

Now thats a Commemorative Plaque I'd love to see... :wacko:

They probably did away with 'He Died.... etc' and replaced it with his name around the outside instead.

Cheers,

Nigel

And then there is this chap - take a deep breath;

A Captain in the Liecestershire Regiment, he died on 20/02/1917 and is buried in Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension

He was once in the Guinness Book of Records for having the longest name, but I don't think they go for that kind of thing now.

Cheers,

Nigel

Do you know the circumstances of his death? wouldn't have thought there would be a bullet long enough to have that name on it! :ph34r:

Chris

How about this for a man serving with a unit appropriate to his name:

Name: MEALMAKER, HAROLD JAMES

Initials: H J

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 5th Field Bakery

Date of Death: 03/12/1917

Service No: 613

Additional information: Son of Sarah Jane and the late Henry Duncan Mealmaker, of 2, The Grange, McKenzie St., Melbourne. Native of Victoria, Australia.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. G. I.

Cemetery: BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

Nearby in the same plot at Brookwood is Private A. Fish:

Name: FISH, ARTHUR

Initials: A

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 57th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/03/1919

Service No: 3660

Additional information: Son of Richard and Elizabeth Mitchell Fish, of, "Denban," Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia. Native of Colac, Victoria.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. J. 5.

Cemetery: BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

But, as I discovered, according to the listings, there are plenty more Fish in the CWGSEA - :lol: Sorry! Sorry!

Much earlier in this thread the surname Death or De'ath was mentioned: there used to be an undertakers of that name in the Surbiton area.

Stretching the topic to include sailors (as well as moving away from WW1) here's one from a previous thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...st&p=924156

NigelS

While not unusually long, or particularly humorous, I have a Victory Medal to a man named Connery. Michael Connery.

Saw the surname and had to buy the medal. :)

Do you know the circumstances of his death? wouldn't have thought there would be a bullet long enough to have that name on it! :ph34r:

Chris

Chris,

I did type a reply, but in the interests of tasteful remembrance for the unfortunate captain I decided against it.

Sorry,

Nigel

;)