Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEST SOLDIERS NAME EVER

ralphjd

An officer in the MGC :- ADJUVANT TYRWHITT LUMLEY LUTHELL THIMBLEBY try getting that on the rim of a medal !! Ralph.

An officer in the MGC :- ADJUVANT TYOWHELL LUMLEY LUTTNELL THIMBLEBY try getting that on the rim of a medal !! Ralph.

Is that a real name or an Ancestry transcription?

We have a Lord Tom Tyler Spoors, or how about Timothy Toy, or Lancelot Dumbling.

All lads who served from Seaham in CoDurham.

Regards

John

Real name, born in Reading, checked other sites before posting as I know what Ancestry are like. Ralph.

Diamond Reckless, 316744 Tank Corps, he survived the war. From Sheffield.

If I recall correctly a number of DEATH'S served as soldiers in the Great War :blink:

Connaught Stranger.

An officer in the MGC :- ADJUVANT TYOWHELL LUMLEY LUTTNELL THIMBLEBY try getting that on the rim of a medal !! Ralph.

Real name, born in Reading, checked other sites before posting as I know what Ancestry are like. Ralph.

Is there a completely independent source for that second name 'Tyowhell', because it looks remarkably like 'Tyrwhitt" on the MIC to me?

I wonder how a private who's surname was Sergeant went on!!?

It must have been a tad confusing! :wacko:

Is there a completely independent source for that second name 'Tyowhell', because it looks remarkably like 'Tyrwhitt" on the MIC to me?

Siege Gunner, Sorry wrote down Ancestrys interpretation, not mine, it is as you say. Think I might send for his birth cert just to be nosy. Ralph.

This does have a WW1 connection...

A retired soldier who became a shopkeeper in Aberystwyth devised a scheme whereby money was raised to send comforts to local Other Ranks/Ratings. His fund ran from at least early in 1915 to the War's end, and large quantities of tobacco and other goods were sent out, eliciting lots of grateful return letters from the boys (many published in the local press).

The soldier's name? Ex-Guards Serjeant-Major FEAR !

He lost one of his own sons in the conflict, and by rumour killed himself not long after the end of the War. The letters - thousands of them - have been preserved at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.

LST_164

How about -

GRAHAM de MONTMORENCEY ARMSTRONG-LUSHINGTON-TULLOCH, 1st Bn. Connaught Rangers. KIA 05/11/1914.

John

Best Soldier Named Ever, how's about.......

Anadath Ever? :ph34r:

129 MIC documents found for Atkins, Thomas on the UKNA search.

I always feel a bit sorry for Corporal Christmas Holly Aldous of the Norfolk Regiment who died on 3 September 1918. Bet the poor chap was ribbed mercilessly about his name!

Well sorted eviltaxman saved me obtaining his birth cert. Ralph

How about -

GRAHAM de MONTMORENCEY ARMSTRONG-LUSHINGTON-TULLOCH, 1st Bn. Connaught Rangers. KIA 05/11/1914.

John

John. Got to give you this one !! :wacko: better find than "mine" Ralph.

Hmmm.

Sgt.Hugh Cairns.V.C.

As his name implies,he had some stones on him.