Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th E.Yorks to 20th Northumberland Fusiliers

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Hi Dick,

Makes a bit more sense, although again doesn't comprehend as the 24/27th Bn, NF didn't amalgamate until Feb 1918, long after his death. Are you dealing with the correct Arthur Thompson?

Hi Dick,

Makes a bit more sense, although again doesn't comprehend as the 24/27th Bn, NF didn't amalgamate until Feb 1918, long after his death. Are you dealing with the correct Arthur Thompson?

Yes, the papers give all details through, from joining in Hull, the Coldstream Guards, MIC, his medals have the numbers, Medal Rolls for both units to which he was attached, all letters concerning Thompson through to his death in 1917. Then a number of letters from his parents after his death. Oh yes, it is the correct Arthur Thompson. All addresses tie up, parents names, CWGC details......everthing.

The letter from Lt. N.L.Wood came later, as you say, early 1918 when the unit numbering had changed.

What I will look for is, which Bn. was Lt. N.L. Wood a Company Commander with in October, 1917.

DW

• 4 months later...

From at least service no. 44108 through to 44265 in the NF are a large number of east yorkshire men, including my gt grandfather henry parker 44191. of those who i looked up nearly all were enlisted in east yorks around the middle of december 1915 and mobilised to the 14th east yorkshires in may-june 1916, having numbers in the 25000/26000 range. this then became the TR90 battalion training up near newcastle on september 1st 1916. Then these were transferred to the NF, mostly the tyneside irish and scottish on 1st november 1916 when they entered france.

of the 157 men (44108-44165) i have found at least 44 were killed (almost 25%) including my g-grandfather on 9th april 1917.

the earliest death i have found for this group is 44170 lidgett 16-12-1916, most of the deaths being in the april 1917 offensives.

this is a group of men i started doing alot of research on over a year ago, but had little time to follow it up,but if anyone has any specificquestions i do still have my notes and will try and help.

michael

NF Rolls and numbers from 44113 through to 44260 contain a high proportion of E.Yorks, again some dying as early as March 17, so they must have arrived around December 16/January 17. Sadly there are few references to previous E.Yorks Bn's served in.

Binks himself has an unusually high E.Yorks number and I honestly think he's come from an E.Yorks Training Reserve Bn and the number should possibly be TR/5/80779.

Archived