Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Project

Fat Frank

Attached are some pics of my new Project, begun yesterday.

Hope to have it done by end August or so.

Some of the more astute will notice that there is no "White Strip"

After 1 hour

post-20140-1241161267.jpg

post-20140-1241161427.jpg

If that's your new project, what else have you done? I'm envious too! :blush: Keep us posted.

Cheers,

David

Nice, a friend of mine restores horse-drawn WW1 vehicles and has a 13 pdr ammunition limber in the queue

I have 1 Limber and awaiting 1 more (I will do one complete one) Pic included. This one belongs to the THA (Transvaal Horse Artillery) I am doing it for them it will be used for ceremonial use.

I have done a 6" 26CWT, if you look at my avitar (spelling ??? you what I mean), it is the one in question. I will be doing another in the series (there are 6) once funds become available. If you want picks or details, check out the Wiki page on 6" 26CWT, at the bottom it gives details and pics. If you need more, send me an e-mail, I will send some to you.

post-20140-1241338145.jpg

Day 2, going well, I am in awe of the workmanship of the guys that made these 100 years ago. This skill has been lost.

Would love to add more pics but I am not sure how.

post-20140-1241444505.jpg

post-20140-1241444639.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Stripped out now, going for sand blasting.

And some parts, to the coppersmith.

post-20140-1242883671.jpg

post-20140-1242883789.jpg

You lucky man, where does it all come from?

Anyway, are those rifle storage brackets on the front of the limber. Some one was asking about the gunners personal weapons in another post.

Alan

......................are those rifle storage brackets on the front of the limber...................

Not my understanding, they are for the aiming posts.

The gun belongs to THA (Transvaal Horse Artillery) they have 2, I am doing up this one for them for a ceremonial gun. I will only be able to save 1 limber from the 2 they have and the second one will be going to CFA (Cape Field Artillery) if I have my way.

I love the 13 pdr, it's a great bit of kit. It's a great gun to turn out for ceremonial duties, plenty on it to polish and blanco. To hear the jangle of horse harness and the rumble of the gun carriage wheels is a great sound. I don't half miss it, well sometimes :D

It would be great if you could post lots of photo's of the gun as you work on it. You could use a site like Photobucket and just post a link. I would love to see close ups.

Are there any dates etc on your gun? Do you know any of it's history?

Greetings from an ex Horse Gunner,

Stewart

I love the 13 pdr, it's a great bit of kit. It's a great gun to turn out for ceremonial duties, plenty on it to polish and blanco. To hear the jangle of horse harness and the rumble of the gun carriage wheels is a great sound. I don't half miss it, well sometimes :D

It would be great if you could post lots of photo's of the gun as you work on it. You could use a site like Photobucket and just post a link. I would love to see close ups.

I will not restore it as has been done with the Kings Troop guns but we will make it a "Parade" gun

I will look into Photobucket (any pointers will be welcome), not sure how to do it so it may take some time.

Are there any dates etc on your gun?

It is barrel number 298 of 1913, it was issued to the THA in 1914

Do you know any of it's history?

Somewhat, it served with the THA in German South West Africa and was lost to the Germans at the Battle of Sandfontien on 26 Sept 1914. The gun was not used by them as they never had any ammo but they pulled it with them and just prior to their defeat outside Tsumeb on 9 July 1915, they pushed this gun (and many opthers) into the seemingly bottomless water pit, Lake Otjikoto. Fortunatly, it was not so and an while some guns (including this one) were recovered from the Lake shortly thereafter, others were only recovered in 1984 (I think the date is correct). One of them was the sister gun (Barrel Number 288) of the one we have and is now displayed in the Tsumeb Museum.

This gun then saw action in East Africa with the SAA and was returned to the THA after that. In 1922, it was one of the guns (the other was Barrel number 292, still with the THA), that saw service during the Rand Revolt.

If you do have some time, I would like to get the dates and Barrel Numbers of the Kings Troop Guns, if you know of someone that could help?

Greetings from an ex Horse Gunner,

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost ready to go to the blasters.

How about the wicker projectile sleeves. I took out a full set. Only a few are of any use though.

post-20140-1245936299.jpg

Everything gone to the cleaners and painters. Hoping to have it completed and back to me by mid July for reassembly and final completion end July.

The biggest problem in this day and age is finding a horse to tow it ;)

All the same good luck with your project it will bewonderful to see the completed gun

David

Fascinating, especially the story of the abandoned German materiel - some in dispkly in the museum in Tsumeb. This link gives a few pics and suggests that much is still below water - a documentary apparently in production in 2006. anyone know of more info or pics. http://www.aquatec-innerspace.com/aiootjikoto2.htm

Doc

I shall be vacationing in Namibia later this month and Tsumeb is on my itinerary. I'll see if I can get some pictures at least of what's in the museum

cheers Martin B

I shall be vacationing in Namibia later this month and Tsumeb is on my itinerary. I'll see if I can get some pictures at least of what's in the museum

cheers Martin B

Gun Number 288 is standing in the Museum and Ilsa Schuttes (I think the spelling is correct, apology if not) she is the owner and curator. Well into her 80s now. She has a heap of info on it and was partly resposible for the recovery in the 1980s. Perhaps you can call ahead and get a chance to speak with her.

Well worth it.

If you get a chance, stop at the lake, only 10kms outside the town, if memory serves.

• 2 weeks later...

Spayed and about to be transported back. We have a problem with deep rusting on the front plate and will have to reblast it and build it up again. Will cause a bit of a delay.

post-20140-1247645503.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had to "fill" the front plate and it came out well. Will spray today and should start reassembly by next week.

• 1 year later...