Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Allan Macnab Denovan

John Gilinsky

From St. Paul's Bloor Street Church in Toronto,Ontario, Canada here is another Canadian in the Royal Flying Corps in the spring of 1918 who made the supreme sacrifice.

post-7558-1241101663.jpg

John

Toronto

Does anyone have any details biographical or otherwise on this man?

Does anyone have any details biographical or otherwise on this man?

Well ... I don't want to be cheeky, but I found this on the internet

"Allan MacNab Denovan, Jr., was born in Toronto, January 8, 1895. His early education was received in the public schools of Toronto, the Model School, and the University School, and he had just completed his course at Upper Canada College when war conditions were precipitated. Immediately upon the breaking out of the World War, he attempted to enlist, but was rejected on physical grounds. Determined to serve his country at any cost, he went to work on a farm, continuing for one year to attain physical fitness. Then returning to the city he underwent an operation and again made application for enlistment, this time being accepted. He entered an officer's training camp and was commissioned lieutenant of Grenadiers. Although he had never seen an aeroplane, he had a strong desire to join the aero squad and, no immediate opportunity of going overseas offering, he made application for transfer to the Royal Flying Corps. This was accomplished and he sailed for England from St. John in December of 1916. He began his air training in England at once, and being apt in learning, was commissioned a pilot and given a plane in April of 1917. Going to France, he was wounded on June 15, losing the little finger of his right hand, after which he was in England for a time. At the end of January, 1918, Lieutenant Denovan returned to France as pilot of a "single seater," carrying three machine-guns. On March 26, 1918, he was reported missing, and has never been heard from since. A young man of rare promise and brilliant mental endowment, his loss was a sad blow to his family, and among the wide circle of friends who knew and loved him, he is deeply mourned. His father recently erected a beautiful tablet to his memory in St. Paul's Anglican Church in this city."

(The Municipality of Toronto - A History)

2Lt A M Denovan of No 1 Sqn RFC was killed in action on 26 March 1918 while flying SE 5a B511. He was on a Special Mission (probably ground attack during the German offensive) near Bapaume when he was brought down. Rittm Manfred von Richthofen of JG1 was credited with a victory; it was the 69th of his eventual 80.

An account of 2Lt Denovan's demise, including a photograph, is in Under the Guns of the Red Baron by Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel MCCrery; ISBN 1 898697 27 2.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Thanks Mariki and Gareth for your information. I am always glad to make available to anyone anywhere in the world information on what happened to their ancestors during the war even though until I photographed this tablet I did not know who he was.

John

Toronto

Just for the record, I remain unconvinced that Richthofen definitely shot down 2Lt Denovan on the 26th. The Jasta 26 claims still seem to have a better credence.

Regards,

Trevor

• 12 years later...

A late addition to this thread.

I recently met someone who has Denovan's .455 Webley revolver. This is going to be offered for sale on the UK market soon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/04/2009 at 22:29, Dolphin said:

2Lt A M Denovan of No 1 Sqn RFC was killed in action on 26 March 1918 while flying SE 5a B511. He was on a Special Mission (probably ground attack during the German offensive) near Bapaume when he was brought down. Rittm Manfred von Richthofen of JG1 was credited with a victory; it was the 69th of his eventual 80.

An account of 2Lt Denovan's demise, including a photograph, is in Under the Guns of the Red Baron by Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel MCCrery; ISBN 1 898697 27 2.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Have been doing some research on this pilot and have found a report that his aircraft fuselage (no wings!) fell to earth in a small wood near Contalmaison, which is a few miles SW of Bapaume. In 1917 he had his little finger of his right hand shot off in combat.