Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries

BottsGreys

Sometimes one gets lucky in finding an enlisted man mentioned in a War Diary. However, I guess it's much more likely in this case where the unit is smaller scale.

"War Diary, No. 12 Canadian Field Ambulance, September 1918

Sept. 3rd: Today, in morning, Scouts reported enemy to be falling back on canal. 11th Amb. established collecting post on main Cambrai Road at Factory-Villers-Cagnicourt. Cars cleared from here to A.D.S. Casualties lighter today. 12th Canadian Infantry Brigade in reserve l'Esperance. In the early morning a party of bearers at Advanced Dressing Station had just finished loading a train on light railway with stretcher cases, when a shell lit amongst them causing the following casualties to personnel: 535984 Pte A.J. Lewis, 532302 Pte P. McBeth, 532317 Pte R.C. Neil--Killed. 460654 Sergt R.W. Witty, 541071 Corp L.V. Martin, Pte N.A. Houston, 528982 Pte G. Miller, 532238 Pte J.F. Taylor were wounded and evacuated. Rear party still at C.15.D. Weather fine. At night the party of bearers in charge of Sergt J. Tait were loading patients on an Ambulance car when a bomb lit close to them wounding 532359 Sergt J. Tait, 510602 Sergt J. Banks and 460919 Pte F. Cohen*, and they were evacuated. No 528007 Pte C.R. Carter was wounded whilst carrying a case out of the forward area and was evacuated. No 460654 Sergt R.W. Witty died of wounds at C.C.S. No. 33 later in the day.

*No 460919 Pte F. Cohen died the following day, Sept. 4th.

Below: No. 460654, Sergt Robert William Witty, 12th Canadian Field Ambulance

Chris

post-1-1081151618.jpg

Good one, Chris. Nice piece of research. Did you just "come across" the photo or was there a special interest in the guy?

John

Thanks John:

This is one that I just came across. Afterwards, I was lucky enough to find him in the War Diary. Through the description provided here in the War diary, I thought it is a good example of how the medical corps also suffered and illustration of no-one being safe from long-ranging fire anywhere near the battlefield.

Regrettably, you can readily see from the creases on the image the results of the seller mailing it without any cardboard "stiffeners" in the package. Almost made me ill when I first saw it out of the envelope. Luckily, the creases don't effect the face, etc. I urge everyone, whether they be buying on eBay or wherever, to remind the seller when making payment to securely wrap photos between cardboard or other type of "stiffeners," and to mark the package/envelope "Do Not Bend."

Putting into practice what David Bluestein and I have encouraged in separate prior threads, a scan of Sgt. Witty's photo now accompanies his death record on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial.

Chris

Guest Desmond6

In the immortal words of Kevin Keegan - 'I love it, just love it' when someone 'scores' like this with a little scrap of information!

Thanks for the extra info, Chris.

Just by the by - bearing in mind our time differences - are you up very early or not been to sleep yet?? ;)

John:

Not been to bed yet. My sleeping schedule is screwed up from this being off work from the back surgery--a lot of catnaps during the day and up all night. The promising thing is that I am cleared to go back to work on April 19th (2 weeks from today). The first 6 of the 12 weeks recovery I was housebound, and it about killed me. Hooray for the Forum it that regard. Next week, I plan on trying to establish my old routine as far as sleeping goes so it won't be too much of a shock

when I go back.

Thanks for asking, John,

Hope all is well with you,

Chris

Chris

Good news about the return to work. I had a similar time off some years ago and I was very, very bored. Different now I've retired - I feel great - thanks for asking.

Still looking forward to a possible meet with you this autumn when we are "over there".

John

Des and John:

I was happy to have a success to share, and I appreciate the interest from two research veterans like yourselves. Thanks.

John:

I'm looking forward to the possibility of us getting together as well.

Regards,

Chris

Guest Desmond6

Veteran! I've just completed basic training ... knees aren't even dirty yet! Only volunteered for this mob in December last year.

:D

Ah, Des, you're much too modest--as your recent well-received posting regarding Somme casualties will attest. Your postings over the past several months point to some great library research, and you are guilty as charged. Well done.

Chris