wulsten

Name: HOWL, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 07/11/1914

Service No: 9135

Additional information: Son of Sarah Ann Howl, of 1 Court, 7 House, Little Newport St., Walsall, Staffs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 35 and 37.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1615155

Adrian

Hi

I have this on the man, can you add any more at all ?

William HOWL

Private 9135

1st Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Killed in Belgium on Saturday 7 November 1914

William was born in Caldmore the son of William and Sarah Ann Howl of 1 Court, 7 House, Little Newport Street, Walsall, his father being a brass plater. He is recorded as residing at 16, Red Lion Street, Walsall.

Called up on reserve at the outbreak of war, William was working at that time for Handford, Greatrex and Company, curriers, of Whittimere Street, Walsall.

He was drafted to Belgium where he was killed during a counter attack on the German lines north west of Klein Zillebeke. The attack, in support of 1st Corps, was a success and the German trenches were taken together with three machine guns captured. The attack cost the lives of 19 Walsall men, including William who was reported as being

“literally blown to pieces by the bursting of a shell.”

With no known grave William is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial on Panel 35 and 37, the Walsall roll of honour and on the roll of honour at St. Matthew’s Church, Walsall. He was 25 years of age.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme, sorry i cannot add anymore im afraid, i have been trying to research a Walter Howle who came from Stoke on Trent, and with the MIC being of the same spelling i thought there may have been a second person of the same name, now proven different, Geoff

• 10 months later...
Hi

I have this on the man, can you add any more at all ?

William HOWL

Private 9135

1st Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Killed in Belgium on Saturday 7 November 1914

William was born in Caldmore the son of William and Sarah Ann Howl of 1 Court, 7 House, Little Newport Street, Walsall, his father being a brass plater. He is recorded as residing at 16, Red Lion Street, Walsall.

Called up on reserve at the outbreak of war, William was working at that time for Handford, Greatrex and Company, curriers, of Whittimere Street, Walsall.

He was drafted to Belgium where he was killed during a counter attack on the German lines north west of Klein Zillebeke. The attack, in support of 1st Corps, was a success and the German trenches were taken together with three machine guns captured. The attack cost the lives of 19 Walsall men, including William who was reported as being

“literally blown to pieces by the bursting of a shell.”

With no known grave William is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial on Panel 35 and 37, the Walsall roll of honour and on the roll of honour at St. Matthew’s Church, Walsall. He was 25 years of age.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme,

Researching William HOWL, on behalf of a friend, prior to a visit to the Salient. The quote reference death "literally blown to pieces etc", is unusual for "other rank". Did this come from a newspaper or local reference. If so, I would like to do some further research.

Thank you for adding the information thus far on here, it has helped me tremendously.

Bruce

Hi

The quote came from the newspaper. I put it in my work as it was such an unusual quote for a paper to use regarding a death in action.

Picture below from the papers.

post-10072-1269457469.jpg

I dont think there is anymore in the papers.

Have you anything else on him at all ? I have the 1911 census form if you PM your e mail address.

Graeme

Hi

The quote came from the newspaper. I put it in my work as it was such an unusual quote for a paper to use regarding a death in action.

Graeme,

Many thanks for your reply and the copy of the photo. My friend has never seen a photograph of his Grandfather, he is one very pleased individual.

bruce@home7294.freeserve.co.uk

Regards, Bruce G. Littley

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys,

I may be wasting my time posting here as this is such an old thread but I am researching this guy for a work friend.

W Howl, I believe Howl is correct spelling but others do exist, is a relative of a friend at work. We have his medals, a 1914 Star and two others. Plus a post card that was supposed to have been sent home from the trenches. The post card supposedly is a photo of William Howl, but I do not think this is correct. I think it is an older photo and another relative who served in the Boer war, for which we also have a medal.

Can anyone offer some help?

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have been looking for William Howl but was told he was the uncle of my husbands grandmother who died in Ypres aged 18 with no wife or children. This man you say was aged 25 and is someone's grandfather? Am I looking at the wrong person? I have a letter from the war graves commission stating this is the man. The Men in gate does state that he was aged 18 (I'm sure I read this when I visited).

Graeme,

I have the same information as you on the letter from the War Graves Commission that William Howl 9135 was the uncle of my husbands grandmother who confirms he was born in1896 to William and Sarah Howl who were her grandparents. She was born in 1915 as so never met her uncle but is able to confirm where / when he was killed.

Do we have this completely wrong?

Hi

According to all the census returns he was born in 1890

post-10072-0-98588100-1415551977_thumb.j

post-10072-0-83408300-1415551999_thumb.j

post-10072-0-63270000-1415552011_thumb.j

I do not know where 'grand-father' comes from, he was a single man.

Regards,

Graeme