Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Reg, Kings African Rifles,Nigeria Regiment

William Webb

After failing to find my Grandfathers service history(burnt) I obtained his Medal Index Card. He was awarded BWM, African General Service (Bar Nigeria) and Victory Medal. I noticed that these had not been claimed as they had been returned. He was in the Territorials before the Great war,but joined the Liverpool Regiment in early 1915. My father says he was an artillaryman,which I thought strange,as the Liverpool Regiment was an infantry unit. He was in the Kings African Rifles, and also the Nigeria Regiment. He contracted Maleria and pneumonia whilst abroad He was demobbed. at Preston in 1919 and lived to a ripe old age.

My questions for the experts are

1. Can I claim his medals at this late stage.?

2. Would any records of his service be kept in Africa?

His name was Sgt William Henry Webb, I have mislaid his service number, but am sure I could find it somewhere

Thankyou in anticipation

Billy Webb(my first post)

Billy

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with definitive answers to your questions but I believe the answer to #1 is no, medals for the Great War are no longer issued officially.

You may find this thread of interest (especially post#2) with regards the "Nigeria 1918" clasp to the AGSM.....

Also, your Grandfather's King's Liverpool Regt. Service No. was 405342 which was from the post-1917 block of numbers allocated to the 26th Battalion King's Liverpool Regt as part of the renumbering of the Territorial Force.

This is from the Long Long Trail mothersite for the King's Liverpool Regiment........

On 1 January 1917, the 44th Provisional Bn became 26th Bn TF. The 44th had been formed in 1915 from Home Service personnel from the TF Bns of the regiment.

It would appear on the face of it that your Grandfather initially enlisted in 1915 as a Territorial in the King's Liverpool Regiment for Home Service (in 1915 as a Territorial he wasn't obliged to serve overseas, this changed later on) and then at a later date was posted overseas on attachment with the Nigeria Regiment. A large number of Territorial Force NCOs were attached to the King's African Rifles and Nigeria Regiment later in the war as these units were increased in size.

Hope this helps for a start.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve,

It was great to see his name in print, it seems it was quite a rare medal. I suppose it would be difficult to buy one.

Another thing that I found strange was my grandmother told me that his capbadge was an Irish Harp, wereas I thought the Liverpool regiment wore a Liver Bird

The King's Liverpool regiment had no less than FIVE different cap badges.

Most had the White Horse of Hanover, with Kings at the base of the scroll.

The 6th Bttn. had Kings Rifles on the scroll.

The 8th Battn. were the Liverpool Irish and had a harp badge.

The 10th battn. were the Liverpool Scottish and had a badge like the Cameronians.

Finally, the 17th to 20th Battns were the Liverpool Pals, and had the badge of the Earl of Derby.....the eagle and child.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, that must be some sort of record, 5 different badges for one Regiment( somuch for me and the liver bird!)