Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dies after discharge

eviltaxman

I've been doing a little reseach on my G-Grandfather who died during WW1.

The problem is, is that he died after being possibly discharged from the RN due to falling down into the hold of his ship and sustained an injury or 2. He later (several months) died at home of pneumonia. He's buried in a family plot (here in Bristol), rather than a "war grave" plot.

He served in the Navy from 1889 (as a Boy) 'til 1901 (pensioned out). He then joined the RNR. His service record only goes as far May 1911 (HMV Victory). His entry on the Admiralty roll shows his entitlement to the 15 Star trio - I have his Vic, but missing the others. The Vic shows RN not RNR or RNVR

My questions for the enlightened ones are...

1) As he was "invalided out" due to injury would he be entitled to the SWB?

2) Although invalided out, would he be entitled to the Memorial Plaque?

The person in question is.... Chf Stoker Alfred COOLE, 148601, RN - if this helps?!?!

Les.

Terry,

Sorry... would help :rolleyes:

Date of death... 28/8/1915

His last known address was 18 William St, Redcliffe, Bristol. However there are links to Grove Road, Fishponds, Bristol.

Another bit of info... as well as being in the RNR, he was also a member of the Corps Of Commissionaires from 18/1/1912 to the date of death.

Les.

This will all hinge of whether his death was caused by his service.

Pneumonia was a common cause of death following any number of other illnesses. It does not necessarily mean that it was brought on by his accident.

CWGC do not recognise him as a war casualty and would only do so if this discharged man was proven to have died from wounds/injuries/illness sustained during the war which then caused or contributed to his death.

As has been said in several other threads, proving a link due to war service between illness and death is sometimes far from easy (though the n-o-k often did not see it like that. Many early deaths were attributed to war service by relatives whether true or not).

Hi Les

He wouldn't have been entitled to an SWB as it wasn't instituted until the following year (1916).

Ed

Terry,

That's basically what I thought. I just needed confirmation more than anything.

Thanks.

Ed,

DOH! I knew that... :o

Thanks anyway,

Les.

Guest Pete Wood
2) Although invalided out, would he be entitled to the Memorial Plaque?

Strictly speaking, no. But if his next of kin had written to the Records Office - and could prove that he died of a war related injury, it would have had a sympathetic hearing (which is much more likely to have succeeded after the war had ended).

Because he died before the armistice , and does not have a CWGC status, I think it unlikely that a plaque/scroll would have been made. But I have seen a couple of plaques that were issued to people that should not have qualified.....