Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ist batt Cheshire Regiment.

annette edwards

I have a John Gwynne and in his military discharge papers form Special Reserves , he seems to have previously served with the Ist Batt Cheshire Regiment. ( Ancestry .co.uk)

His service records say he was 38yrs 9mths when he enlisted 7 Sep 1914 and that he was born Coedpoeth / Bersham and his religion was Wesleyan.

Now the problem is I can`t find his birth at all, and wondering if there are records from the Cheshire Regiment that may shed more light on him.

He may have been single when he joined and there might be more details that will help to trace him.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

It is possible that the Regimental Museum & Archives at Chester may have some information - occasionally archives do have info on pre-war soldiers. Bit of a long shot, though.

• 2 months later...

Only just found this one - here's his MIC, but his service papers have survived and are on Ancestry.

He was 38yrs 1 mth when he enlisted, 2 Sept. 1914. He had married Eva Elsie Morgan (widow) at Pontypridd reg Off on 27 April 1908. They had 4 children, Nell, Edward, Elsie and Mildred. He suffered on 7 Aug 1916 lacerations of left hand (not military action - even though he got it picking up a detonator! He says he was removing it from the road because it was a danger to horses.)

He was posted to France on 25 Sep 1915, returning on 15 Dec. He went back on 22 June 1916 returning on 9 Aug 1916 - 2 days after his injury. He was finally discharged as unfit on 5 July 1917, after several stays in hospital.

Hope this helps a bit

Graham

post-37838-1247848087.jpg

I've not gone through all of his service papers but there's another number - 3834 - on the second page which, if it's a service number, suggests a joining (or enlistment) date of 1892.

Paul

It's just about possible I suppose. The BMD records shows he was born Sept quarter 1876, so would only have been 15 or 16 in 1892. Usually service was for 12 years (e.g. 3 yrs active + 9 years Reserve) so would have finished his requirement c. 1904.

The first page of his service papers does state he had previously served with the 1st Cheshires. I wonder if his former service papers still exist at NA?

Good hunting

Graham

• 9 years later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. After you have made two posts you can send Annette a private message, as she hasn't been on the forum for a few months.

Michelle